A kitchen in the country, a photo of which will look interesting and attractive, does not necessarily require a large budget. Much more will you need taste, accuracy, the ability to put theoretical knowledge into practice and a willingness to plan before moving on to action. About all varieties and not only in more detail later in the article.
Contents of this article:
What a kitchen can be?
The kitchen in the country can be of three types:
- Open. It looks more like not a kitchen, but a gazebo in which it stands brazier or electric tile, and with it the simplest furniture. In the heat, it is a pleasure to cook in it, because the heat goes outside, which means that the stove is not stuffy.
- Semi-open. Located on veranda. On one side it has a wall, the other three are either completely open or equipped with a railing. It is also not stuffy on it, even in the heat, and getting to it from the main house is much easier – this is important if, for example, electricity, for example, is only in it.
- Closed. It is a real room, which is either located in the house, or stands separately from it and looks like a closed gazebo. In such a kitchen, the requirements for style are higher, since the impression is formed exclusively by the interior design, plus it is sheer torment to cook on it in the summer. But it can be used in winter too..
Semi-open version of the kitchen in the country
It depends on what kind of kitchen you have in your country house, what style is most suitable for it, what kind of furniture should be on it, what accessories.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: What is the best ceiling for a kitchen? 180+ Photos The most fashionable options
Open and semi-open kitchens
Open and semi-open kitchens are a blessing in the summer heat, especially in the southern regions. On them, you can calmly and with pleasure cook, roll, cook, fry, stew, without suffering from stuffiness. But at the same time, you need to follow simple rules..
The functionality of an open kitchen is its main quality. Due to its specific location, it requires special attention, because if after a couple of years the floor cracks and spots appear on the support posts, repairs will have to be done. That is why it is necessary to approach the selection of interior elements wisely..
When everything is on the street
- Floor. Must be either tiled or natural stone. They are well suited for the kitchen as a whole – they can be washed with aggressive detergents, they do not suffer from hot, do not wear out. And they are also well suited for open kitchens – they are not afraid of rain, hail, or temperature differences between day and night. They do not fade in the sun and are generally very reliable..
- Walls in an open kitchen. In an open kitchen, they are practically absent – there are either supporting pillars or a lattice, which mostly performs an aesthetic function. Therefore, they do not need finishing. The only thing to think about is how will the kitchen be closed in case of rain? Can be hung waterproof roll curtains, put sliding walls.
- Walls in a semi-open kitchen. There is only one wall. It looks best if tiled or washable. wallpaper – they easily survive collisions with grease, dirt and chemicals.
- Ceiling. Decorated with beams in most cases.
Don’t forget about a reliable floor covering
AdviceThe stone on the floor looks good, even if the kitchen itself is wooden. However, if you are ready to constantly mop the floor and close the kitchen every time you leave, you can leave wood.
It is also important what you will cook on..
This could be:
- Electric stove. It will have to draw electricity, but most people are more used to cooking on it. Although it will look a little strange in an open kitchen.
- Bake. Food cooked on it has a slightly different taste, in addition, it looks somewhat more appropriate in an open kitchen than an electric stove. You can successfully fit it into the interior – for example, the Russian style requires a stove. But you have to learn to cook on it.
- Grill or barbecue. Kebabs, hamburgers, hot dogs – street food, and where to cook it, if not in an open kitchen. The only negative is that it can be difficult to fit a grill or brazier into the interior. Most people prefer to take it outside, and if it rains, put it under a roof..
Very convenient open option for cooking
When the preliminary finishing plan is ready, you can proceed to furniture. And the most important thing in it is the material from which it is made..
So, a kitchen set can be:
- From real wood. It will be very expensive, since wood varieties that are not afraid of moisture and parasites are rare, and the rest require careful processing. But it will look beautiful and will fit perfectly into the wooden kitchen in the country..
- Made of chipboard covered with plastic. Chipboard is a material with a low price and low characteristics. By itself, it is afraid of moisture, mechanical stress, temperature changes. But in combination with a plastic coating, it sharply becomes more reliable, stops responding to water, temperature, shock. However, if a crack appears on the plastic, the chipboard underneath will quickly swell..
- From MDF, covered with plastic. MDF is more reliable than chipboard – it is also made from sawdust, but they are not pressed, but first boiled, and then a single layer is cast. Even in itself it is more stable, but with plastic it becomes very reliable at all.
The kitchen set can be made of various materials
Plus chipboard and MDF – the plastic covering them can be perfectly combined with plastic chairs or a table.
Chairs, in turn, can be:
- Made of plastic. Bright, bizarre curved shapes, they can be quite cute. They are not afraid of anything except mechanical stress and hot objects. Fade over time. But usually they serve for a long time even in the open air, and if they deteriorate, then it’s not a pity – you can always buy a replacement.
- Made of metal. Metal chairs look elegant and sometimes austere. Fits perfectly into the style provence, look interesting and original. They will not be able to bend and break, but you will have to take either with a special coating that prevents rust, or cover them yourself. It is advisable to choose chairs with a seat made of plastic or with a removable seat made of fabric, because sitting on pure metal is unpleasant..
- Rattan. Rattan – the plant is resistant to literally everything. It looks good, bends, it makes the best wicker furniture. Not afraid of water, not afraid of parasites. The main thing is to process with appropriate means from time to time..
- Made of wood. It will be expensive, but it will look beautiful.
Beautiful and durable rattan furniture
Instead of chairs, you can put a sofa in the country kitchen, but then you will have to constantly cover it before leaving – upholstered furniture suffers from moisture, direct sunlight, temperature changes and, of course, liquids, after which stains remain.
With the table, everything is not so simple – it can combine two materials.
For the basis, you can take:
- Particleboard and MDF coated with plastic – they will last a long time, they will go well with plastic;
- metal – the table will be bulky, heavy, but it will stand for decades;
- tree – it will fail in ten years even with proper care;
- from bricks – an excellent solution for an open kitchen, since the bricks are not afraid of any external influence and they look good.
The wooden table is very reliable and durable
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Modern wallpaper for the kitchen (240 + Photos): Ideas Catalog
The table top can also be different:
- wooden – gets dirty, it can be cut with a knife, and moisture spoils it;
- MDF or chipboard – does not deteriorate from moisture, but is easily scratched or cut;
- glass – looks beautiful, is not afraid of anything, but it is expensive, heavy, for most country interiors it will look too pretentious;
- stone – also not afraid of anything, but difficult, there will be difficulties in order to bring in, install, and then, if the need arises, take it into the house.
The table top has many options
The shape also affects the table.. This could be:
- “Island“- such a table stands by itself, surrounded by chairs;
- “peninsula»- adjoins the kitchen set sideways;
- bar counter – high, narrow, allows you to turn an ordinary country kitchen into a semblance of a real bar;
- transformer – such tables are folded when only the owners gather at them, and laid out when it comes time to receive guests.
You can also put a portable table – it is small, light, does not require much effort to carry and fold. And up to four people can fit behind it.
Convenient when furniture can be rearranged
AdviceYou should choose a table not only by the number of people in the family, but also because you like to receive guests. If so, a transformer or a bar counter will come in handy. If not, you can look at the island, peninsula or portable table.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Kitchen design with a bar counter (220+ Photos) – The ability to create a beautiful and modern interior
It is important not only to choose the functional elements of the interior, but also to combine them correctly. After all, if the kitchen turns out to be a set of solid oak, a table made of plastic and chairs made of metal, it will look a little wild – as well as red walls, blue ceiling and bright-yellow floor.
Choosing furniture that can last a long time
It is not only a practical approach that is important, but also the correct combination.
You can achieve it in different ways – either try to combine objects and colors yourself, or use ready-made styles that are considered suitable for a specific situation..
So, to decorate the kitchen in the country, you can apply:
If you have a gazebo with a wrought-iron lattice, it is a sin not to take advantage of this and give it the look of a sophisticated east. Colors of the Arabian style – azure, scarlet, gold, white, emerald. The tiles on the floor should be patterned and colorful, light curtains made of satin or similar fabric hang from one support pillar to another. The table should be low, instead of chairs pillows. It is also recommended to cook while sitting, putting the tiles closer to the floor, but if it is unusual, you can leave the usual kitchen set, the main thing is that it matches the colors. The picture will be complemented by metal lamps with real candles, an incense holder with an incense stick and glass jars with tea and spices..
If you have a wooden gazebo or veranda, this style will work best. Everything around should be wooden, even the floor. The table is massive. Instead of chairs, there are benches. The set should look rough, and the tiles should be disguised as a stove (or you can make a real stove). On the floor – a wicker rug, on the posts – bunches of onions, garlic, herbs. In the corner – a chest with some useful kitchen belongings. Crockery – with traditional painting. Basic colors are simple – wood, white, red, yellow.
Rustic style too, but American. The floor should be tiled with stone, everything else – with wood. The furniture is bulky (but you can use wooden chairs instead of benches). On the table tablecloth, put elegant plates on shelf, put on soft chairs covers in a cage or polka dots. Use a kerosene lamp as lighting.
Styles are a good source of ideas that allows you to imagine what you can generally want from the kitchen in the country.
Open shelves look beautiful
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Kitchen Layout in a Private House: 175+ Photos of Variety of Styles, Colors and Coziness
Although for its open variety, style is actually not required – the main thing is that everything is combined with everything:
- Materials (edit). It is best if they match with each other. Only one material can be used. You can combine wood with stone, you can combine wood with plastic. The main thing is that there are no more than two main materials..
- Forms. Furniture should match in style. A bulky wooden table and an elegant thin-legged chair will not look next to each other, although both are made of wood. Ideally, select furniture from the same headset, although you can just try to make it fit each other.
- Colors. There should be no more than two primary colors. That is, if the stone on the floor is black, and the walls and ceiling are wooden, then an attempt to put a red table in the kitchen will not be successful. You can take either one of the primary colors, or its shade – a table black or a shade of light wood. There should also be no more than two accents. So, on a light wood table there may be a blue vase, but if there are blue, yellow, white plates around it, it will no longer look. It is better that the rest of the dishes are also shades of blue..
- Accessories. Must match in style. Let’s say you want to place a fancy-shaped modernist vase on your table. But the table is wooden, made roughly. There are wooden chairs around him. The stove imitates a stove. Rough stone floor. Everything is in a rustic style. And it is better to find an earthenware vase, simpler, and leave this fancy one for another suitable occasion..
For a general look, we select all accessories and parts in one style
Even cheap plastic chairs and a table can look good if the kitchen unit is covered with similar plastic, there are no expensive accessories around, and the colors are tasteful.
And, on the contrary, an expensive tree that does not match the color of the tree of the gazebo will not look too impressive..
AdviceIf you find it difficult to imagine a picture in your head, sketch it or use a special program. A sketch will help you navigate and understand what you want.
We select a tree by color
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: 220+ Photos of New Kitchen Design 9 m2: Functional and laconic design
In a closed kitchen, the importance of functionality is not so high, but the importance of style is higher. After all, a closed room at the same time leaves a more complete impression and does not suffer from constant temperature drops, possible high humidity due to rain.
Basically, the functionality of a closed kitchen is less demanding than that of an open kitchen:
- The floor can be not only stone or tile, but also covered with linoleum. The humidity in the room is less, therefore it is unlikely to swell and go in bubbles.
- You can fix tiles on the walls, glue washable wallpaper, leave them wooden if the whole house is made of wood or brick if made of bricks. The main thing is that tiles, wallpaper and wood are of high quality and can resist external threats..
- The ceiling needs to be plastered or, if there are beams on it, leave it unchanged.
In a closed kitchen, the chosen style is very important.
Furniture can be any, the main thing is that there should be no more than seventy centimeters aisles between it. In addition, the “working triangle” rule must be followed. According to him, a sink, stove and fridge must be positioned so that a triangle forms between them. This makes it easier to move between them and easier to cook..
A closed space is undemanding to functionality, but rather to style. Here you can turn around by choosing something interesting, unusual and taking up the design.
So, for a house in the country, you can use the following styles:
White, cream, blue colors allow you to expand even a small kitchen. On the floor – light wood or linoleum, on the walls – plain wallpaper or paint. Plaster the ceiling. Choose light furniture, the less it is, the better. Natural materials, mainly wood. There should not be a lot of accessories – blinds on the window, a bowl of fruit on the table. Put all the plates, tools, useful little things in the lockers. Gives a feeling of spaciousness and freedom.
With elements of minimalism
Essentially the same style that can be applied to an open kitchen. The floor is stone, the walls are wooden, instead of a slab there is a stove or fireplace. The furniture is wooden, rough, you can lay a tablecloth on the table, a carpet on the floor, which should look as if it was made at home, by hand. The dishes should be earthenware with simple geometric patterns. The curtains are made of lightweight fabric. Primary colors are natural. Wood, green, brown, you can interspersed with dark red. The light source should be fireplace, lamp on the table. You can hang a lamp that simulates kerosene, under the ceiling.
Materials – wood, bamboo, reed. Wicker furniture, graceful, rattan or similar materials. The lighting is diffused, cozy, preferably imitating real candles. Instead of a stove, a fireplace, a refrigerator should look like a closet. There are mats on the floor, reed curtains on the windows. Of the accessories – earthenware, which looks like it was sculpted by hand, while earthenware trinkets. The colors are natural. Wood, green, dark red, close to brown, sandy yellow.
Eco modern kitchen design
Tile or wood on the floor, colorful floral wallpaper on the walls, paint the ceiling white or plaster it. The furniture is thin, elegant, you can wicker, you can chairs with wrought-iron backs. The table is preferably round, small. The curtains on the window are coffee, short, on the table, preferably a small lamp under a shade, a light bulb in a similar shade under the ceiling. Necessarily a vase of flowers on the windowsill, necessarily a lot of light, elegant plates, floral aroma and the smell of baking. On the floor, you can lay a frivolous rug in flowers, or you can do without it.
Provence – easy and casual
If the kitchen is not in a wooden house, but in a brick one, it will fit perfectly. The floor is forged to look like concrete, there are bricks and plaster on the walls, beams under the ceiling – ideally, if it is higher than in standard apartments. Furniture made of iron and plastic, with dishes to put a high metal shelf, a table on thin metal legs, or better – a bar counter and bar stools. A leather sofa must be in the corner, graffiti must be on the wall. There should be no curtains on the windows. Colors – white, gray, black. Bright accents to a minimum.
Brick on the walls is a striking sign of loft style
You can, of course, not worry about the style, but just follow the advice from the section on open kitchens. The part about compatibility also applies to closed ones..
Do not make too many colors, do not mix furniture of different styles, do not put accents anywhere and in too large quantities, do not overload the interior with knick-knacks.
The main thing is not to overdo it with elements and accessories.
That is, to spend energy on something, the result of which is by no means guaranteed.
VIDEO: Ideas for the kitchen interior
In the kitchen, it is especially important that all things do not just have a place, but that it is convenient. If you have thought of everything, laid it out, and the one who cooks constantly shifts, then you need to reconsider the arrangement of objects.