The lighting in the kitchen is different from the lighting in the rest of the rooms. It should not only be pleasing to the eye, but also meet purely practical requirements: be bright enough to be comfortable to work with, soft enough not to cut the eyes, and at the same time be correctly positioned. One light bulb under the ceiling is definitely not enough. Consider the materials of the luminaires and their location, and the result will definitely be good..
Contents of this article:
The basic rule to adhere to: everything zones must be lit separately. Your own light in the work area, your own light in the dining room, a pair of decorative lamps.
Lighting a kitchen right takes creativity.
Even in the smallest kitchen one ceiling lamp will not be enough – although no one will forbid hanging it anyway, as a design decoration, illumination of the dining area or an additional light background.
Small kitchen in white
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: What Modern Chandeliers and Lighting Fixtures are Suitable for the Hall / Kitchen / Bedroom? 205+ Photo Options with stretch ceilings
Illumination of the working area
You need to start with the illumination of the working area – it will set the general tone, and besides, you simply cannot do without it. Cooking in the shade is below average pleasure.
It can be located in different ways:
- On the bottom cabinets. This solution is relevant if you have hanging cabinets above the work area at all. An LED strip is stretched along their lower surface, its light falls exactly on countertop. As a result, you will not be able to block out the light, plus you will have a pleasant overall impression..
- On the wall. If there are no lockers, or if you are not satisfied with the tape, you can always place the lamp on the wall above the work area. It can be something purely utilitarian – spots, for example, which are not distinguished by their beauty – or it can be an elegant semi-antique sconce. The main thing is that the light is directed downward to the work surface..
Illumination of the working area
All other ideas for location are not consistent – you cannot position the lamp so that the light falls from behind, you cannot make the light soft and diffused.
Only bright, precise illumination. It can be used for it:
- LED Strip Light. It looks very simple, but it is bright and lasts a long time. An additional plus is the ability to adjust the saturation of the luminous flux, as well as start a remote control that will turn on the tape from a certain distance.
- Spots. Small lamps, more like spotlights, are an excellent solution for illuminating the work area. Moreover, they can be directed in different directions, depending on the current needs.
- Sconce. Ribbon and spots do not fit into classic interiors, but sconces fit perfectly. They can fit snugly against the wall, they can look like a lampshade on a curved leg – all ideas are good, the main thing is that there is a sufficiently bright light bulb in the sconce.
Classic kitchen style
AdviceIn addition to the work surface itself, you can also highlight the stove. But the light bulb cannot be placed over an open fire and the best solution is an LED strip stretched along the outer edge of the hood..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Kitchen Chandeliers in a Modern Interior Style (255+ Photos). Which one to choose?
Illuminated dining area
If, in the case of the working area, the lighting should be primarily practical, then in the case of the dining area, beauty comes to the fore. Here the lamp does not so much illuminate table and the contents of the plates, how many highlight the area and serve as a decoration.
Using LED strip for the work area
It can be placed in different ways:
- On ceiling. Often the dining area is located in the center of the kitchen, and then ceiling lights are best suited. It will provide soft, diffused light, highlight the table and illuminate the rest of the space at the same time. In addition, the chandelier hanging from the ceiling cannot be knocked over during lunch or filled with juice..
- On the table. Tabletop lamp – a good solution if the dining area is not located in the center of the interior and does not require a constant emphasis at all. The main thing is that the table for the lamp is large enough, otherwise someone will touch it while eating and you will have to repair it..
- On the wall. If the table is close to the wall, lighting it with a wall lamp is not a bad idea. In this case, the light can be directed both down and up..
Different lamps can be used to illuminate the dining area:
- Ceiling chandeliers. Their design is varied, as are the colors. There is something suitable for any interior – with a paper lampshade for Japanese, in a flower for provence, with crystal “drops” for shabby chic. Interestingly, there can be several chandeliers – this makes sense if you have a long rectangular table or bar counter.
- Desk lamp. They can be made from different materials, decorated in different ways – for each style, its own solution is suitable. Metal with glass for English classics, pure metal for hi-tech, wood and paper for Chinese. The main thing is that the lamp is stable enough so that it does not break from one careless movement..
- Wall lights. LED lamps, spots or sconces – the choice is unlimited. The light in the dining area can be directed in any direction. Here he does not have to be bright, since his main purpose is aesthetic.
AdviceThe ceiling chandelier must be hung so that it cannot be touched during the meal..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Modern chandeliers for the living room: 195+ (Photo) Interior solutions
In addition to the lamps in the dining and work areas, you can equip additional lighting, which is mainly intended to highlight the accent in the interior.. This could be:
- Niche lighting. In this case, in the niche itself, you can place a funny statuette, your favorite a photograph or a group poster that makes your kid go crazy.
Separate lighting for dining area
- Illumination of surfaces. The LED strip stretched under the table top near the table or cabinets looks magical – thanks to it, the furniture seems to float in the air. The effect looks especially interesting if you make the ribbon colored..
- Cabinet lighting. The purpose here is not only design, but also practical – looking into the illuminated cabinet, you can always easily determine where what is worth, and whether it is time to clean. It looks interesting if you make a glass door in the cabinet – then it will look like a showcase lit from the inside.
The small lamp can be placed on the windowsill so that it illuminates the colored curtain. And you can install glass shelves in the room and make lighting for them.
Beautiful room with lots of light
AdviceThe main thing is not to overload the interior with light. The kitchen should be well lit, but there shouldn’t be too many accents, and the light shouldn’t hurt the eyes.
It is important not only to position the lamps correctly, but also to choose them correctly.. They should be beautiful, durable and last more than a couple of months..
The bases of any lamps are usually made of either plastic or metal. Sometimes there are designer lamps with glass or wood bases..
Suspended ceiling in the interior
Each solution, of course, has its own pros and cons:
- Plastic. The plastic base breaks easily – this is its main disadvantage. If such a lamp falls, the base will crack or bend. In addition, it will fade over time, is afraid of cleaning chemicals and does not look too chic. But plastic is cheap, it can be of bizarre shapes and its colors are bright.
- Metal. A base made of metal can serve for years – for example, spots and spotlights that are installed in metal serve for a long time. Does not break, does not rust, looks just fine, can also be of fancy shapes. The only drawback, apart from the price, is that such a lamp will be heavy.. If it falls on a child or pet, injury cannot be avoided..
- Glass. A fragile but very beautiful material that looks magical as a base. Not afraid of anything but blows. Expensive.
- Wood. It is rare, but it looks good – polished, carved wood fits well into eco-interiors. Poorly combined with incandescent lamps, is expensive. Over time, it may require restoration – replace the varnish, paint again.
AdviceIf your design doesn’t require wood or glass, go for fixtures with a metal base. Metal is expensive, but it pays off completely. Plus, it fits perfectly with modern styles..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to choose a chandelier and lamps for a boy’s and a girl’s nursery? (180+ Photos of Ceiling, LED and Fancy)
Not all lamps have a lampshade, but those that have, its quality largely depends on the material. This could be:
- Plastic. If it is made poorly, it may start to melt and smell unpleasant, therefore it is better to buy lamps in a store where you can turn to with a complaint. But it can look interesting, be of any color and have any shape.
- Glass. Fragile materials, careless handling is even more afraid than the base. Cleaning problems may arise – if you wash without skill, stains may remain on the glass. But it is not afraid of anything and can refract light beautifully if you choose a lampshade with patterns or relief.
Glass is a fragile but beautiful material
- Tiffany glass. A separate type of glass that most closely resembles stained glass. It looks elegant, light not only refracts, but also paints in different colors. Looks great in classic interiors – for example, on a table in a colonial classic.
- Metal. Metal lampshades are beautiful, reliable and long lasting, but heavy and expensive. If you drop such a lampshade on your leg, a bruise is the best possible outcome..
- Wood. Lampshades are rarely made of wood – nevertheless, most lamps are heated during use. But such lampshades look very interesting, they are suitable for eco-style interiors and, as a rule, they embody a certain design idea..
- Textile. Fabric lampshades are a kind of classic. You can do them with your own hands, if you have a penchant for this, and then no one else will have such a lampshade like yours. The fabric looks pretty, looks good in classic interiors, but collects dust and fades over time, especially if the sun’s rays fall on it.
Fabric lampshades – a kind of classic
- Paper. A rare solution that is usually used for the manufacture of lamps in the Chinese or Japanese style. Such a lampshade serves for a long time, since the paper is specially processed. But it fades over time and, if dropped, is likely to tear.
AdviceChoose the material of the lampshade based on the style requirements. So, Provence will not do without a lampshade made of floral fabric, and high-tech – without a simple metal.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Modern Interior Lighting: 175+ (Photo) Ceiling, Wall, Swivel
And, of course, we must not forget about the light bulb – it depends on it what the light will be like:
- Incandescent lamp. It gives a warm pleasant light of the yellow spectrum, it can have any shape and look interesting. But it warms more than it shines – only five percent of the energy consumed is spent on light. Burns out during power surges, can burst, scattering fragments around. However, it has the lowest price.
- Halogen lamp. They are similar to incandescent lamps, but inside the bulb is filled with iodine or bromine vapor. As a result, the efficiency is increased threefold, the light can be of different brightness, as well as the shape. Minus – they do not work in closed lampshades, because they quickly burn out. They can only be installed with gloves, since they cannot stand contact with sebum.
Using neon light
- Fluorescent Lamp. Can give light of different saturation – three thousand gives soft yellow, six – bright White. The flask is always of the same shape and requires special disposal. But they serve for a long time and are five times more efficient than incandescent lamps..
- LED lamp. New in the technology market. It is expensive, but it can serve up to twenty years, and it consumes very little electricity. The main thing is to buy from a trusted seller, since low-quality lamps flicker, which hurts the eyes. The most unpleasant thing is that you can only see the flicker through the camera of the mobile.
AdviceThe most balanced solution in terms of price / quality is still halogen lamps.
Choosing the right lighting is not only useful, but also interesting. And besides, the result can always be redone if it does not suit you..
VIDEO: Choosing a comfortable light for the kitchen
The light in the kitchen should be as pleasing to the eye as possible. Consider all the needs for your interior. After all, it is also an important component of comfort..