A sofa for a nursery must be chosen carefully and thoroughly, with greater care than for adults. Correctly selected, it can be a real salvation for a small room..
During the day, on a compactly folded sofa, the child will be able to sit, read aloud and to himself, play and build tents, and roll cars on the free floor or build a doll castle. And at night, you can neatly unfold the mechanism and get a wide, comfortable bed, which in the morning turns into a small sofa again.
But you need to be careful, because the child’s body is still being formed. The future posture strongly depends on the sleeping place, insomnia can begin due to the wrong color, and you can hit an acute angle to a bruise. When choosing, parents should consider all this – and not only.
Technical aspects: safety, materials, construction
Any sofa is viewed from several positions:
- safety measures – how likely is the child to be injured;
- material – everything plays a role, from the frame to the upholstery;
- design – not every sofa is suitable for any age and not every sofa will be comfortable to sleep on.
Only by choosing technical characteristics, you can think about design.
A sofa for a child must be chosen carefully and thoroughly.
It doesn’t matter how old the child is, the sofa must meet the standards. No one is safe from hitting a sharp corner, not even a teenager. Consider:
- Softness. The sofa that will stand in the children’s room should be free from sharp corners. Hard armrests, a rectangular hard seat, shiny metal legs – these are all better reserved for living room, where the child will spend significantly less time than at home.
- Width. Most babies sleep restlessly, tossing and turning, throwing off the covers and may fall to the floor. A narrow sofa increases the chances of falling several times – a reliable u / wide seat is much better suited, on which the child can lie diagonally or stretched out like a starfish if he wants.
- Mechanism reliability. All sofa beds have a specific opening mechanism. Before you put one of them in the room, you need to make sure that the mechanism will work clearly and will not open at the wrong time, causing injury to the child. It is best if it is heavy enough that the child, in principle, cannot lift it..
- Reliability of elements. Some of the mechanisms have wheels – you need to make sure that they will not roll by themselves. Some of the mechanisms have boxes – you need to make sure that the child has no chance of getting stuck inside. Some of the sofas have armrests and backrests – you need to make sure that they are fixed securely enough and will not fall off during active play.
AdviceAny thing the child interacts with must be safe to use. But this point is only the beginning of a choice. After all, not every sofa that can be called safe is suitable for a child to sleep on..
A sofa with any mechanism consists of a frame covered with filler instead of a mattress and covered with upholstered fabric. There are a lot of variations of the first, the second, and the third.
All frameworks can be divided into three large groups:
Chipboard frames. The cheapest and most substandard material possible – it is made from recycled wood. The only plus is that it costs less than all other materials. There are much more cons – fragility, unreliability. If the manufacturer turns out to be unscrupulous, the chipboard can emit vapors of toxic substances. A sofa with such a frame will fail in two to three years of intensive use..
Make sure the frame is well hidden
Frames made of wood. Real wood is a beautiful, reliable material that remains in vogue. The frame made of it can serve for several decades, smells good, is light enough, with a very small probability of causing allergies and is completely natural. However, the tree burns, is sensitive to biological threats (for example, a pest beetle can start in it), succumbs to moisture. Over time, it will dry out and begin to creak. This will happen faster if pine or fir was used for crafting. In addition, the tree has a high cost..
Metal frames. Metal is a material that is very difficult to destroy. The frame made of it can serve for decades, does not burn, is resistant to biological threats, does not dry out, does not rot, does not cause allergies. Its only drawback is weight. If the design of the sofa implies that it will have to be partially lifted, this can be difficult. When buying a sofa with a metal frame, you need to make sure that it cannot harm the child in any way – to open unexpectedly, for example.
Option for a little princess
AdviceWhen buying a sofa for a children’s room, you need to make sure that its frame is well hidden and camouflaged with soft filler, so that even if a child bumps into the sofa on the run, this does not cause serious injury.
The filler is very important for the sofa, which is planned to be installed in the children’s room.. Depending on the age of the child, it should be different:
- newborn children need the most rigid mattress – the spine is just forming, any soft filler can cause the development of scoliosis;
- children from three to seven years old need a mattress of medium hardness, which, if possible, follows the curves of the body – posture is still being formed;
- children over seven years old and up to twelve need a mattress of medium hardness with a soft cover so that it is comfortable to sleep on;
- children over twelve are equated with adults, since their posture has already been formed – the mattress should not be too soft, and this is all that is required of it.
The filler is very important for this product.
In addition to softness and hardness, it is necessary to consider whether the filler absorbs odors – for young children who may not wake up to the toilet at night, this is especially important. It is also necessary to give preference to materials that do not cause allergies..
All fillers can be divided into three large groups..
The first one is spring-loaded. Among them:
- Block of dependent springs. Consists of a frame and a spring cloth that flexes when laid down on it. This design has existed for more than sixty years, is reliable, and can last ten years. But over time, it pushes through and begins to creak. Not suitable for a child – bends in large areas, does not adjust individually.
- Block of independent springs. Consists of individual vertical springs, each of which is separate from the others. It can also last ten years, is distinguished by its reliability and high orthopedic comfort – the springs sag exactly where they are loaded. Does not creak, a broken spring is easy to replace. Great for kids, but expensive.
It is necessary to consider whether the filler absorbs odors
The spring frames are distinguished by good air exchange and do not absorb odors at all.
Not all materials of the second group – synthetic fillers – differ in the same way. Among them:
1Polyurethane foam. There are two versions – either the material is cut into blocks and a structure is formed from it, or it is poured into a mold and a finished soft part of the sofa is obtained. Does not absorb odors, does not suffer from dust, retains its shape for a long time, differs in average hardness. But at the same time he is afraid of the sun’s rays and does not have great orthopedic comfort – suitable only for a small child.
2Structofiber. Possesses a high degree of orthopedic comfort, does not absorb odors, does not burn, does not absorb moisture. Does not cause allergies. It is expensive relative to other materials and very hard – an additional soft lining will be required for a younger student.
3Polystyrene balls. For a sofa, on which a child will play and occasionally doze off, this is an excellent material – the balls do not absorb moisture, do not burn, are resistant to biological threats and easily follow the curves of the body. But in order to sleep on them every night, they are not suitable – too soft, do not support posture. They also quickly squeeze through, get lost in one heap and have to be filled up again.
4Holofiber. A material that was developed at the beginning of the twenty-first century and collected all the advantages of synthetic materials. Does not burn, is not subject to biological threats, does not absorb anything, often used in sofas.
Spring cages are characterized by good air exchange
AdviceIt is definitely not worth buying a sofa with padding polyester and foam rubber – they easily absorb odors, stains remain on them and they do not last long, straying into ugly and uncomfortable lumps.
With the third group – natural materials – this happens less often. Among them:
- Latex. Made from rubber juice, lasts up to twenty years, has the highest orthopedic qualities among natural materials.
- Coconut fleece. Made from durable coconut fiber. It does not cause allergies, is environmentally friendly and cheap, but at the same time it is very rigid – it is very uncomfortable to sit and lie on it.
- Horsehair. One of the most expensive medium soft fillers.
Can be used as a bed
AdviceWhen choosing a sofa, the health of the child should be taken into account. If he has back problems, it is a good idea to first visit an orthopedic surgeon and consult with him..
Upholstery performs a decorative function and is important for the appearance of the room – not every material will fit into a particular interior. In addition, the upholstery with which the child is constantly in contact should not cause allergies, absorb odors and be sensitive to stains. Best of all – to have the opportunity to wash it if necessary.
To fit the sofa, you can use:
- Velours. Soft, velvety natural material, which is distinguished by a large number of colors, does not cause allergies and fits well into a cozy small nursery. Warm, breathable easily, pleasant to the touch, cheap. It can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner or, if heavily soiled, with dry washing powder. There are only two drawbacks – in a few years, scuffs will appear on the upholstery, and it is difficult to remove stains from it. Suitable for a teenager’s room, but for a small child – definitely not.
- Flock. Also velvety and pleasant to the touch material, which is much more suitable for a nursery – it can be washed, it is not afraid of moisture and it is easy to remove stains from it. Differs in a variety of colors and durability, it is difficult to tear it. Over time, however, it wears out and also absorbs odors. If the child has problems in order to feel in time that it is time to go to the toilet, it is better to choose a different material..
The upholstery serves as a decorative function
- Tapestry. An option for the bedroom of a serious teenager, and not for a toddler – too expensive and beautiful material to make sense to fit a sofa in a preschooler’s room. It is tough and easy to clean – even the most stubborn stains can be removed. Very durable, but not very pleasant to the touch.
- Microfiber. Synthetics, but expensive and good. Washable only on a delicate cycle, dries only in the fresh air, but stains can be removed with delicate detergents and a soft brush or cloth. You will have to tinker with the ingrained ones. The smell does not absorb.
- Ekovelure. Very durable fabric based on natural raw materials, similar to velor. Nice, soft, won’t fade or stretch. Can only be washed with dry products.
AdviceBefore ordering a sofa with a specific upholstery material, you should ask your child’s opinion on this matter. Let him wander around the cabin with you, touch different options and also express his opinion – if, of course, he already knows how to speak.
Disney fairy tale
Sofas covered with leather and leather substitutes are not suitable for a nursery. Firstly, they are stylistically absolutely incompatible with bright toys and the general light mood of the room. Secondly, the skin is slippery and cool to the touch – the sheet will roll off it all the time. In addition, the skin is capricious to care for and is expensive.
It will be interesting for you:
An important point of choice. The design depends not only on how the sofa will look, but also how comfortable it will be, and how safe it will be, and how long it will last.
There are a variety of options:
Book. The simplest, oldest and cheapest of all possible options – it has been used for many decades. It is an ordinary sofa with soft armrests – to unfold it, you need to raise the seat. The back will go down and fall flush with it. There is often a storage box under the seat. Due to the simplicity of the mechanism, it wears out slowly, but requires considerable effort to decompose. It can be dangerous for a small child – not all models have a lock that prevents pinching. For an older child, it may be uncomfortable – in the middle, between the back and the seat, there is a gap.
Option with a spacious wardrobe for bed
Tango. In fact, exactly the same “book”, but with one addition – “tango” can be fixed in any intermediate position. For a child, this is a good option, since intermediate positions can be used in games. The disadvantages of the “book”, however, remain.
Eurobook. A variant with a slightly more complex mechanism than that of a regular book – here you do not need to raise the seat, but pull it towards you so that it rolls forward. After that, the backrest descends into the resulting void and as a result, a wide berth is obtained. Below is a box for linen. The only drawback is that the gap between the back and the seat can be noticeable..
Puma. The mechanism is very similar to the “Eurobook”, only the seat does not roll out. You just need to pull it up so that the mechanism starts inside and it decomposes on its own. Then you can lay the back. Does not require physical strength.
Do not rush to quickly choose one or another option..
Dolphin. Perhaps the most popular option, it does not require much strength – even a child can expand such a sofa. It is enough just to pull the loop on the seat towards you and slightly up, and it will go forward and automatically rise flush with the non-roll-out part, under which the laundry box is usually located. The only drawback is that the mechanism, with active use, easily breaks down, therefore the frame must be chosen reliable, preferably metal.
For a large children’s room
French folding bed. A temporary option, it will fail quite quickly due to the peculiarities of the mechanism. The berth consists of three sections; it is enough to pull the seat up to open it. Irregularities on it are almost imperceptible, almost no effort is required, the sofa is very neat and compact when folded. But it fails after a couple of years of active use..
Be sure to consider your child’s opinion..
Roll-out sofa. When assembled, it is no different from other sofas, but when unfolded it is well suited for a small child – very low seat, easy to climb. The mechanism is simple – the berth is pulled out from below, from under the bottom, then the back is lowered. No physical strength required, no laundry box.
Accordion. It is enough just to pull to make the mechanism decompose – the back also lowers, the armrests remain in place. Differs in great compactness when rolled up, but does not have a special box for linen.
Spartacus. In fact – a variation of the “French clamshell”, supplemented and more reliable. The sections are covered with a special mesh, which, when unfolded, forms a smooth, comfortable place to sleep.
Elf. The most original of the options – the seat does not unfold in any way, the armrests simply drop down on either side of it. It is very convenient, since the level of their inclination can be freely adjusted and no force is needed for this. Suitable option for children – the sofa has no sharp corners and it is wide enough.
The choice of the mechanism option depends on whether the adult will always be there to expand the sofa, and whether he has any diseases that complicate the process. In addition, it is better to choose a sofa with a box for bedding – it not only provides a place to store toys, but also opens up a huge space for games..
Structural refinement: transforming sofa
Technically, the sofas, the designs of which we have just considered, can be attributed to transforming sofas, because they transform from an ordinary sofa into a bed.. But this is far from the most impressive transformation – developments of recent years allow you to buy in one piece of furniture:
- Sofa and bunk bed. This is an excellent solution for a small nursery where two children of the same age or the same age live. During the day, the sofa will serve as a place where you can drink tea and watch TV, arrange a tent from a blanket or play quiet board games together. It can be turned into a fortress or just take a nap on it after a hard day at school. But with the onset of night, you can turn the sofa so that the back rises and is a meter above the seat. A small ladder is attached to the design. In the morning, you can roll up the bed linen, put it in a drawer under the bottom and roll the beds back into one sofa..
- Sofa and table. It is also a good solution for a small nursery, where the size of the room – or its layout does not allow arranging a more complex workplace for a child. When folded, the table top is stored behind the back or under the seat. But it is enough to use the mechanism for it to be in front of the seat, to take the place of the table. And then – a matter of technology. Put the lamp to the left of the child, get notebooks and books, and you can safely prepare for tomorrow’s school day. Here you can also drink tea, lay out a board game or draw.
- Sofa and wardrobe. A solution for a nursery, in which there is simply no place for a separate wardrobe. It looks like a wall cabinet, in the middle of which there is a sofa attached to it. Around – drawers, above it – shelves. At night, when no one needs a place on the floor, the sofa unfolds and the child can go to bed. During the day, bed linen is removed in one of the drawers..
- Sofa and two beds. This is an option for a home with two children. Instead of putting two beds in the room, which will take up most of the space, you can put a convertible sofa, which has two options. In the first, it is simply a roll-out sofa, the berths of which are separated by a seat element. In the second, this is the same roll-out sofa, from which two berths are obtained – one closer to the floor, the second where there used to be a seat.
Having finished choosing a sofa according to technical characteristics, you can delve into more subtle and interesting materials – convenience for a particular child and design delights.
Option for a boy
Design: features and layout
There are features that a sofa should have just because you are buying it for a child:
- it must be soft enough so that it is difficult to hit against it;
- he must have armrests so that the child does not fall off him;
- he should have a wide seat so that the child does not fall asleep;
- he should have a box so that he has somewhere to put away some of the toys.
Not absorbing odors, easy to clean – it’s all universal. But the color and design of the sofa should be chosen based on the age, gender and character of the child..
And the character on this short list is the most important.
And the first step in choosing a specific sofa should be a discussion. Invite your child to plan the room with you. Think with him about where the sofa will sit best and think about how it should look. Visit a furniture salon together, sit on all the sofas you like and discuss their qualities.
Choice can be turned into an exciting interaction with a child, no matter how old he is..
Sofa for younger students
It is a good idea to buy a sofa in the shape of a castle for a kid, but for a younger student this is already a passed stage. Of course, games are still important for him, but gradually attention is shifting to communication, to school events, to knowledge and more adult activities.. The brightest sofa with patterns will no longer fit here.. Here you need to approach more subtly.
- Patterned sofa. The option is always relevant – and its main plus is that when the child grows up, you can simply change the upholstery to a calmer and more adult one. In the meantime, a sofa with pokemon, monster high and other popular heroes will fit into the interior of the children’s room. The main thing is to first make sure that the child loves them specifically..
- Solid color sofa. Bright colors that delight preschoolers are already less relevant. Of course, the upholstery of the sofa gray or brown – still a bad idea, but you can prefer pastel colors, delicate shades green and blue. Depending on which combination will look good with the rest of the room.
- Sofa table. For a student, it is a great solution, especially in a small room. Adjusts to the working mood, saves space.
It is better to choose pacifying, eye-pleasing colors for the sofa – and, of course, still pay attention to the child’s opinion.
Great room for a teenager
Sofa for a teenager
After thirteen, what can delight a preschooler is perceived with some contempt: any teenager wants to grow up as soon as possible and become an equal adult. Sofas with pictures, sofas in the form of cars, this certainly does not contribute to this..
Therefore, choosing a sofa for a teenager can already be more balanced, guided not only by the desire to entertain the child, but also to make the room truly beautiful.
There are basic color matching options:
- Monochrome. If your child’s room is made in shades of the same color, then the sofa can also be selected in them. For example, if the walls are light green, then the sofa can be taken in a dark green or a beautiful herbal shade. If the walls are light lilac, then the sofa can be saturated, lilac. But if the walls are dark, then, on the contrary, the sofa should be lighter. The effect should be interesting, for all the simplicity of reception.
- Contrasting. Contrast is a game that is so pleasant to play when decorating an interior. The main thing is to choose really suitable colors. In a room with white walls, a bright sofa – red, blue, purple – will look defiant and look great. In a room where the walls are painted orange, a purple sofa would be perfect. In order not to confuse and not to put frankly inappropriate furniture into the room, it is worth checking with the combination tables.
- Neutral. In a perfectly matched interior, where everything is in its place, you can leave the sofa as an island of neutrality. Let it be beige, a delicate gray shade, blue or white – then it will fit into any design and at the same time look separate and interesting.
- Saturated. In a neutral, calm interior, a rich-colored sofa will also look great. Let it attract attention, let it become the center of the interior.
The sofa should match the rest of the environment.
With the choice of a specific color, it is harder – the sofa should fit the rest of the situation, fit into it, like a native.
Each color carries a specific message and has a different effect on the nervous system..
- Beige. Warm, simple, neutral color that will fit into almost any interior, except bright or cold ones. Sensitive to dirt, it will have to be cleaned quite often, and any stain should be removed as quickly as possible. Any little thing will be visible from afar.
- White. The most neutral of the colors, which is suitable for very few teenagers. Children are not very neat, and it will be too difficult to remove stains of paint or juice from a white sofa – it is better to immediately choose a different color.
- Black. For a nursery, it is too gloomy in its pure form – it will create a depressed mood for the child and knock out, even if, in principle, it matches the colors of the interior. But let’s say if it is diluted with bright patterns, drawings, or if the child himself chose black for ideological reasons.
- Red. A bright, strong color that can make a sofa stand out, but is not suitable for a sleeping place. But you can use its pale and delicate shades, which are not associated either with blood, or with love, or with other similar things..
- Yellow. Sunny, pleasant color – it is believed to have a positive effect on mood. It is not so difficult to fit it into the interior; it will “illuminate” even the smallest and gloomiest room. Requires care, like all light colors. You can choose between warm and cold shades.
- Green. Differs in a large number of shades. Calms, adjusts to a calm mood, which can be used for sleep and work. Pairs well with leaf or flower patterns.
- Blue. Shades of blue are also a great solution for bedrooms, also pacifies and calms down. You can choose any option – from the lightest, to the darkest, almost black. Cloud or fish patterns look good on blue.
- Orange. Also a warm, pleasant color, which is intended to raise the mood and make the room more comfortable. Needs constant care.
Choose a sofa with your child
AdviceA good decision when choosing a color would be to draw a sofa in the interior with your child. You can do this with pencils and felt-tip pens, or on a computer. The main thing is to see together what the chosen combination will look like..
When the sofa has already been selected and the design activity has almost come to an end, it remains only to put it in a certain place in the room.. And for this you need to know two simple rules:
- Do not place the sofa too close to the radiator. If you close it with a back, the room will be constantly cold, the child will freeze and may catch a cold. And if you put an armrest, the air very close to the sleeping place will be constantly dry and the child will find it hard to breathe.
- Do not place the sofa with your head or feet against the door if this can be avoided. The problem is not even in the widespread superstition about death, but in how the doorway and the possibility that parents can enter through it at any time will affect the child’s psyche. It is much better to put the sofa on the opposite side of the room, so that the child can look at the door from it at any time and see the person entering.
Bright colors will make your child happier.
Otherwise, the choice of location is entirely yours. Put the sofa next to the table so that the child can reach it at any time? Why not? Place it against the wall to the right of the door, and close to it? Not a bad idea too.
It is only important that the room as a result looks simple and organic, so that the sofa does not stand out from the general range and looks good. Safe, with a mattress of medium firmness, covered with a fabric that is not afraid of not being too tidy, it will be an excellent sleeping place.
Buying a sofa for a children’s room is a great idea, and the selection process can be turned into a real adventure..