Bathroom curtains: 175+ (Photo) Choice for your design (fabric, plastic, glass)
The bathroom is an oasis where you can relax after a hard day. Bathroom curtains are a necessary attribute, which you cannot do without. They will be able to really gracefully complement the interior, emphasize the chosen style. Find out exactly how to do this in more detail later in the article..
Content of this article:
As it turns out, you can hang polyethylene with minimal patterns, if only water does not drip on floor, Can i choose a curtain that will fulfill several purposes at once:
- zoning the space, separating the area in which the water procedures take place from the rest of the room, and providing a sense of security;
- prevent hitting the floor, walls, furniture and on the sockets, which are sometimes found in bathrooms, water, remnants and foam;
- complement the decor, making it more interesting, enjoyable and complete.
And in a small room with a combined bathroom, it will be useful for those living in apartment could use it at the same time, if such a need arises.
Bathroom curtains are a necessary attribute, which you cannot do without
As a result, when choosing a curtain, both its appearance and its design matter..
The very word “curtains” seems to imply that they should be made exclusively of soft fabric, but this is not so. There are about a dozen materials suitable for the bathroom and they can be divided into two large groups..
Soft curtains for the bathroom are those that hang freely from a pipe fixed under ceiling. Best suited for classic interiors, at the time of the creation of which there was still no technology that would make it possible to make a curtain from hard plastic or glass.
Option of soft curtains
The first soft material is polyethylene. It has the following advantages:
- low cost – the simplest shower curtain can be bought for one hundred rubles, if you look in stores that sell household goods;
- a wide variety – polyethylene can be of any color, transparent and matte, bright and light, with patterns and monochromatic;
- high water resistance – nothing happens at all from water to polyethylene, even if you do not care for it, do not dry it, do not follow it.
Prevents water from spilling onto floors, walls, furniture and outlets
The combination of advantages gives material that you can buy at least every week and change if you are bored with the colors.
But, like all cheap things, there are some drawbacks:
- problems with care – water will not harm polyethylene in any way, but aggressive detergents leave unpleasant traces on it;
- lack of resistance to mechanical stress – careless movement of the polyethylene curtain can easily be torn;
- unpleasant sensations – if polyethylene sticks to the skin while using the shower, the feeling remains very unpleasant.
In addition, polyethylene will not fit well into all interiors.. It shows that the material is cheap, therefore it is better not to hang it in a carefully thought out stylish bathroom..
The curtain is an additional decor
AdvicePolyethylene is a temporary solution, but cheap and therefore useful.
The second soft material is cloth. Usually, special fabrics are used, which contain an admixture of plastic – this is done so that the fabric does not get wet, which means it can perform a protective function. Sometimes natural linen, tulle can also be used, but only if they have been previously impregnated with special compounds..
The pros are as follows:
- beauty – fabric, even not natural, looks beautiful and can complement most classic interiors;
- variety – less than that of polyethylene, but still;
- long service life – with careful use can last longer than a decade.
There are also downsides:
- not the most pleasant sensation – polyethylene adhered to the skin leaves an unpleasant sensation, but the fabric is not much better;
- problems with care – also does not tolerate aggressive chemicals.
The fabric is more a tribute to tradition than an adequate solution for the bathroom. It looks beautiful, it complements classic interiors well, but vinyl can do the same..
AdviceIt is worth buying fabric if you like more or less natural materials or liked a specific curtain, which, by coincidence, turned out to be fabric.
Fabric, not even natural, looks beautiful
The third soft material is vinyl, aka polyvinyl chloride, aka PVC. Fully synthetic, only gaining popularity in recent years.
The pros are as follows:
- resistance to mechanical damage – if polyethylene can be torn by accidentally catching on it, and the fabric can be torn by pulling it hard, then PVC cannot be torn;
- weight – heavy material, holds its shape, hangs under its own weight;
- variety – due to its synthetic nature, it is presented on the market in no fewer colors than polyethylene, moreover, it has a different texture;
- reliability – a vinyl curtain can last up to two decades;
- ease of maintenance – vinyl is resistant to aggressive chemicals, so you can wash off any stains from it, and without much difficulty.
Bright harmony of colors
It has two disadvantages:
- low environmental friendliness – in nature, vinyl does not decompose, it is made in hazardous industries that pollute the environment;
- the likelihood of buying unfairly made vinyl – like most plastics, it can emit fumes, harmful to humans, if made in violation of technological standards.
The price of vinyl is relatively low, in appearance it differs little from natural fabric. Can imitate wood or stone, represent any drawing.
AdviceVinyl is the most reliable material for soft curtains, which is convenient to deal with.
Beautiful fastening for the product
Of course, the very word “curtains” is not very suitable for these structures – the correct term would rather be “screen”, since it is the screen that they look like the most..
The first hard material is plastic. It has been used since the first shower cabins were on sale. The pros are as follows:
- variety – it can be of any texture and with any design, up to applied photo printing with a night city;
- flexibility – any structure can be made of plastic, with bends, smooth lines, depressions and bulges of any complexity;
- low cost – plastic is cheap, like most synthetic materials.
There are also disadvantages:
- lack of resistance to mechanical damage – a not very strong impact is enough for a crack to form on the plastic screen or a piece breaks off from it;
- difficulties in leaving – from hard water and soap stains form on the plastic, therefore after bathing it will need to be wiped off every time;
- obvious cheapness – not every style allows the use of plastic.
AdviceIf you are planning to furnish your bathroom democratically, American style, for example, plastic will suit you – if, of course, you are satisfied that he is afraid of aggressive chemistry. For expensive and pretentious, it is better to choose glass..
The second hard material is glass. It is not at all like what was once used in windows and flickered from any strong blow. Current methods allow you to either harden it, or glue several sheets together, or reinforce them. So nothing will happen on impact, or the fragments will be large and with blunt edges..
The advantages of glass are as follows:
- beauty is one of the most beautiful materials, which can be transparent or matte, colored or colorless, with patterns or in the form of stained glass, with or without a pattern;
- lightness – glass visually enlarges the room, makes it more spacious and brighter;
- strength – it is very difficult to damage good quality glass by an accidental blow, since not every even directed blow can harm it;
- safety – even if the glass breaks, the fragments will be large and blunt;
- ease of maintenance – glass is easy to clean, there are a huge number of products specially for it.
There are also downsides:
- price – glass is more expensive than all other materials;
- relatively low flexibility – it is not possible to make such an intricate structure from it as from plastic, even to order, because it lends itself to processing worse;
- stains – the glass must be wiped after each bath if it is smooth.
AdviceIf you decide to make a glass screen in your bathroom, consider making it rough. This will save you time – no streaks will form on the textured glass..
Glass is more expensive than all other materials
We figured out the material – next in line are the design features of the curtain, which significantly affect how it looks, as well as how reliably it will serve.
Solid curtain design
Screens cannot be hung, because their designs are somewhat reminiscent of the designs of ordinary interior doors. There are the following types:
Most often used for shower cabins, as it will look a little strange in the bath. It can have one sash or two sashes, it looks traditional, somewhat elegant. But it takes up space, so it won’t take root in a small bathroom. Also, the bottom must be glued with a special tape – if this is not done, water will fall into the gap under the doors, after which it will have to be wiped off.
It will look just great in a standard bath – although it is also applicable in a shower stall if the guide rail is semicircular. In this case, the curtain is attached to the wall, one part of it remains stationary in any case, the second is pulled out if necessary. There are no slots through which water could penetrate, but there is a possibility that the guide rail will break – for this, one unintentional but accurate blow is enough.
She’s a “book”. It looks like a curtain folded into an accordion. It can have from two to five to six hinged sections. One of them, the extreme one, is attached to the wall, the rest, if necessary, are pressed against it, and, if necessary, unfold. If the bathroom has a non-standard shape and has corners, such a curtain will look especially good, but for a regular rectangular one is also quite suitable..
An interesting solution that looks especially good with semicircular corner baths. The curtain is attached in the corner to two walls and is equipped with two swing leaves, which, if necessary, open along the sides. It can also be used for standard rectangular bathtubs – then the wall mount will be in only one place.
Can be placed on a bathtub of non-standard dimensions. One edge to the wall, the other extends so that it covers only part of the side. Such a decision is not always relevant – except in cases where the inhabitants of the house prefer to take a bath instead of using a shower..
The main thing in a hard curtain is that water does not fall on the floor from under it, as well as that it fits well with the interior of the bathroom. Otherwise, the choice is limited solely to the tastes of the owner – for example, there is no fundamental difference between a folding and a sliding one.
It will be interesting for you:
Acrylic or Cast Iron Bathroom: Pros and Cons (160+ Photos). Which one is better to choose?
Bathroom tile panel options: 185+ (Photo) Wall options
Provence style bathroom design – gentle romance for body and soul (205+ Photos)
Decorating the Bathroom with artificial stone: Washbasin, countertop, shelves. Features of using the material
Bathroom Design with and without a Sink: Choosing Furniture (165+ Photos). What to give preference to?
Rigid ones are mounted on the wall – most often they are screwed with screws. Soft ones do not have such an opportunity, so a special pipe was invented for them, which is attached to the walls near the ceiling itself – you can screw it on, it can be glued. The pipe itself is:
- plastic – a cheap, but not too reliable solution, which can fall off, breaking if you pull the curtain too hard;
- metal – most often it is hollow, light, it will not work to break it, except to bend it, but it costs more at the same time;
- wooden – rare because wood needs to be specially treated to function properly in the bathroom.
Bright and cheerful model
AdviceA wooden pipe only makes sense if the style requires it – for example, eco, which cannot stand either plastic or metal. Otherwise, using it is useless..
The curtains can also be attached to it in different ways..
It can be:
- “Crocodiles“. These are clothespins, which are attached to the rings on the pipe, and with their “teeth” they hook the curtain. Thanks to them, there is no need to make holes in the canvas. But they themselves can tear it, they can leave traces of rust on it, and they also break off if pulled sharply – sometimes with a piece of cloth. They are not suitable for polyethylene at all, because at the first sharp movement they will tear it.
- Hooks. They look elegant and easy – one edge of the hook is thrown over the pipe, the other clings through a hole in the fabric. They can also fly out, since the fastening is quite unreliable, but they cannot damage the canvas, even if pulled sharply – they will simply pop out of the holes.
To set the mood
- Eyelets. Relatively expensive, but aesthetically pleasing – rings (usually plastic, less often metal) are sewn into the fabric of the curtains, after which they are strung on a pipe. They differ from other solutions by the ability to create beautiful even folds that will lie down by themselves. Suitable for most classic styles, but there is no polyethylene with eyelets – the material is too thin, it is impossible to properly integrate rings into it.
- Magnets. An original solution, in which the curtain is attached with double-sided magnets, between which its canvas is clamped. They are usually decorated with decorative elements that make the result look interesting. Great for polyethylene and lightweight fabrics, but heavy fabrics may not hold up. Can’t tear the curtain.
- “Pocket“. It is not found in polyethylene, but often in fabric and vinyl. The upper edge is tucked in, sewn up, and then a pipe is threaded into the formed “pocket”. Beautiful, because the cornice is hidden, reliable, because the structure can only be torn down with it, just in execution. The only drawback is that it can be difficult to move the fabric over a damp cornice.. But it is quite possible to deal with it..
Choosing a style
Any composite structures rattle – “crocodiles” are stronger, eyelets are weaker, but still.
The only completely silent design is a “pocket”, it only rustles slightly.
AdviceIf harsh sounds annoy you, choose it better..
There are also rarely used roller blinds – this is an original solution in which the curtain goes down from the ceiling, unwinding in the process.
Combination with the interior
In order for the curtain in the bathroom to look good, it must combine not only the material with the structure. She herself should fit well into the interior.. To do this, you need to consider the style:
- Provence and other romantic styles. The interior, made in light colors, light walls and ceiling require airiness, lightness, which can be provided exclusively by translucent fabric. It is desirable that it be of a light shade, it is possible with a floral pattern that will overlap with other patterned elements, if any. Polyethylene is not allowed, it will destroy everything instantly. Hard curtains are also not very suitable for the overall concept..
- Minimalism and other simple styles that require maximum utility from all elements. Hard sliding curtains look good in them – simple, transparent or slightly darkened, without ornament, without a pattern. The less they take up space, the less they attract attention, the better..
- Eco and other emphasized natural styles. No synthetic materials such as vinyl or polyethylene. Exclusively fabric, preferably in light shades green, yellow, brown – and it is imperative that they are warm. The original solution will be a hard glass curtain. It will play on contrast, but not on the contrast of color, but on the contrast of styles. The severity of glass will only emphasize the cozy naturalness of everything else..
- Classics with a note of pomp – for example, ampere or gothic. A heavy fabric that looks like natural works well here, which can be laid in beautiful folds and, as an accent, intercepted with a gilded or bronze cord. Obviously synthetic materials will not work, as well as hard curtains..
When the big bathroom
You also need to take into account purely household little things that can affect the usability:
- The length of the soft curtain should be at least ten centimeters longer than the edge of the bath, otherwise water will constantly overflow onto the floor.
- The width of the soft curtain should be at least twenty centimeters wider than the edge of the bathtub. Otherwise, the water will again overflow for it, or it will have to be specially pulled and monitored every time you want to take a shower..
- The edges of the soft curtain must be equipped with special bulges. From above, so that it does not tear when trying to insert hooks into it, but from below, so that it has at least some weight that does not allow it to dangle freely.
- A hard curtain should be exactly the size of the bath. If it is longer or wider, this is a serious drawback, due to which it will either not be possible to close it normally, or water will constantly spill through it..
A bright option will refresh your room
- After each use, any curtain must be allowed to dry, for which purpose leave it open or straightened and let the water drain from it. Only after that it can be closed and removed, otherwise ugly mold, harmful to human health, can grow on it..
- From time to time, soft curtains need to be washed – preferably by hand. Fabric at a temperature not exceeding thirty degrees, vinyl at a temperature not exceeding forty. In this case, care must be taken not to twist the fabric too much during spinning. Otherwise, it may not be straightened out..
Proper care will extend the life of the curtain for years to come.
AdvicePolyethylene is appropriate only in rooms without a pronounced style, neutral. For the rest of the bathrooms, it is better to choose something better..
Snow white luxury
VIDEO: How to choose the right bathroom curtain?
Proper care will extend the life of the curtain for many years – for example, vinyl can last more than a decade. The curtain should be chosen according to taste, in accordance with your budget and interior features..