Closers for kitchen cabinets: advantages, adjustment and do-it-yourself installation
Kitchen cabinet closer
Kitchen cabinet closers are a mechanism that takes care of the safety of your furniture. Many do not pay due attention to the choice of this element, but in vain. After all, it is he who makes the operation of kitchen furniture more convenient. It is important that it is of high quality and made from durable materials. After all, this is the only way it will serve you for a long time. And in order to choose it correctly, you need to familiarize yourself with all its types and installation methods.
Kitchen cabinets with lift and door closer
For drawers, it is also advisable to install door closers
Airtic door closers
High-quality closers for kitchen cabinets are quite functional. They are made from a variety of materials, ranging from zinc to steel. Since modern furniture is made in different configurations, then the types of closers are different. Working in the kitchen, many do not bother to close cabinets and cabinets correctly, without flapping the doors. And this, in turn, affects the wear and tear of the furniture itself. In order for the operation of kitchen cabinets to last several years longer, it is important to choose the right fittings and, of course, a door closer.
Most modern kitchen cabinets are equipped with door closers.
Gas closer for cabinet with lifting mechanism
Types of closers
There are many types of door closers. They differ in their methods of action, construction and placement. Closers are often already installed on purchased furniture. But they are of poor quality and need to be replaced. If you are ordering an individual design of kitchen furniture, then you can immediately get a good mechanism. There are various ways of installing the closer:
- placement directly on the surface of the cabinet body. In this case, you need to select an attractive design of the closer, so that it does not spoil the general appearance of the furniture;
- installation on furniture hinges. It is often possible to purchase kitchen cabinet hinges with a door closer, and this design will work as a single mechanism for many years;
- placement between furniture hinges is very popular. It provides structural rigidity.
Airtic door closer
Blum pull-out door closer
According to the method of action, closers are divided into several types, and you can choose them at your own discretion. Drawer closers are of two types:
- gas. They do not use oil, which helps to protect furniture from contamination. Such a mechanism has a low price. In order to close the cabinet, you need to apply a little force, and before it is completely closed, it will begin to slow down in order to avoid impact;
- oil. Requires constant attention and lubrication. But they work great for a long time, and that is why the most common.
In accordance with the style and type of furniture, you can choose the type of door closer. They are made in various colors, so you can easily assemble all the fittings in one color..
A wardrobe with a lifting mechanism and a door closer is indispensable in the kitchen
Hinges with integrated door closer for kitchen cabinets
Damper for kitchen cabinet
Gas closer for kitchen furniture
How to choose a door closer
When equipping their kitchen, many pay special attention to its appearance. The color of curtains and baseboards is selected, but few people think about how to choose the right closer for furniture. It is very important to consider the type of your cabinets, their design and size..
Advice! Remember that the closer serves as a motor apparatus for any cabinets, so you should not save on them. High-quality fittings will serve for a long time, and you will not have to spend a lot of money to replace it..
Thus, if you decide to buy closers for kitchen cabinets, it is important to follow these rules:
- First, decide how much weight of the structure you want to fix with a closer. A mechanism that is too weak will not hold the sash and will break immediately. And a design designed for large cabinets will close small doors too quickly, which completely eliminates its main function..
- Pay attention to the way you place a certain type of door closer. There are such mechanisms that are attached to the furniture body and do not require complex hinges. In addition, they can be attached directly to the hinges or between them..
Titanium-Salice door closer hinge
Door bumper for kitchen cabinet from HAFELE
- Decide which manufacturer’s movement you would like to purchase. Many craftsmen advise foreign brands that have long established themselves in the manufacture of accessories. Blum kitchen cabinet closers are considered to be among the best.
- If you do not want to spend a lot of time adjusting the closer, you can purchase models that are self-adjusting..
Choose your headset responsibly. Indeed, despite the fact that her actions go unnoticed, you will feel significant inconvenience if the headset does not work well..
Hinge hinge with SALICE door closer
Popular and quality manufacturer of door closer hinges – Blum
If you purchased a door closer and want to install it, then first of all, you can invite a master. But you can make the installation yourself, if you take this process responsibly. In order to securely fasten it, you will need a screwdriver, a hammer, screws, a pencil and the mechanism itself. If you are interested in how to install a closer on a kitchen cabinet, then you need to adhere to the following sequence: first, it is better to remove the cabinet from the wall. This will greatly simplify the installation process. Place it in a place convenient for you, turning it with the side on which you will screw the closer;
- the holding part of the closer is much longer than other parts of the mechanism body. It must be screwed on first, so that it is securely attached to the cabinet;
- using a pencil or marker, mark on the opposite side of the furniture the place where the entire body of the mechanism will be fixed directly. After that, use a hammer and self-tapping screws to make small holes;
Disassembled door hinge with door closer
It is very important to install the hinges correctly.
Installing a damper (closer)
- you need to fix the door closer body carefully, slowly tightening it with a screwdriver;
- after you have made the installation, check how well it was done. Open and close the door of the furniture, and if it is free to move, then you did everything right. After that, you can hang the cabinet in place..
Installation diagram of the closer on the drawer
Tools that come in handy for installing hinges with a door closer and a lifting mechanism on a kitchen cabinet
A well-secured mechanism has many benefits. If ordinary hinges without a door closer work only to hold the leaves, then it is he who facilitates the process of opening and closing doors. It protects the sashes from mechanical damage during operation. The mechanism of this device is incredibly simple. The spring, which is located inside the closer body, is in a capsule and surrounded by oil. It is this element that helps the mechanism to significantly slow down the door at the last moment of closing..
A reliably installed door closer has many advantages that you will be able to appreciate over time:
- a high-quality mechanism is durable, it does not require frequent oil changes or repairs;
- door breakage is prevented by soft closing, which guarantees the use of the door closer. It seems to bring the sash to full closure, preventing a sharp slam;
- the liquid inside the closer is securely fixed in the capsule, therefore it does not damage the furniture;
- a properly selected mechanism can withstand even the heaviest doors;
- easy to operate.
Having correctly installed the closer on your wardrobe, you will forever forget about the breakage of the doors..
A closer on kitchen cabinets is very convenient
A high-quality door closer mechanism is a guarantee of long service life
The door closer is a soft and smooth closing of kitchen cabinets
Closers for kitchen cabinets, the price of which is significantly higher than average, are often self-adjusting. This is not a very necessary function, because you can make the adjustment yourself. Pay attention to the sliding speed first. It should be comfortable enough for you personally, but not too fast. Closing door too quickly can hit the body hard, making the use of the door closer meaningless.
Next, pay attention to the tightness with which the closed door adjoins the furniture body. The mechanism can be adjusted using the screw installed on it. As you tighten the screw, the speed gradually increases. If you spin it, then the speed, accordingly, decreases.
Adjustment of hinges with a closer
Hinge adjustment scheme with a closer
Advice! The adjustment screws must not be completely unscrewed. This can lead to the fact that the oil inside will simply leak out, the furniture will be damaged, and the mechanism will not work..
In order to adjust the speed, the screw must be turned clockwise one turn. Never turn the screw 1.5 and 2 turns, this can damage the mechanism. Always make adjustments with care and effortlessness. Despite the high strength and reliability of the door closers, they can break under high pressure..
Even after installing the hinges with a closer, they can be adjusted in height and depth
Miniature door closer on a kitchen cabinet
Closers for kitchen cabinets: conclusions
For modern furniture, the mechanism of its action is very important. No matter how attractive the appearance of the cabinet will be, no one will get the joy of using it if it does not open well, knocks and constantly breaks. Closers perform an extremely important function for the mechanism of furniture doors: they facilitate smooth closing and prevent impact. Thus, the furniture will not wear out for a long time..
A variety of door closers allows each buyer to choose the most suitable mechanism for themselves. There are systems that are self-regulated. But even if your mechanism is not of this type, manual adjustment of the kitchen cabinet closer is very easy..
It is important to pay special attention to the installation of such a mechanism. After all, despite all its advantages, it will not work well if you place the system incorrectly. Likewise, you should be responsible when buying a closer. Many people say that the Chinese mechanisms are no worse than the European ones. But the experience of many specialists tells a different story. Only high-quality door closers from renowned manufacturers will serve you for many years..