For any house, the roof plays a responsible role – it is the main protection against the effects of high and low temperatures, ultraviolet radiation and precipitation. High-quality execution of the main task will ensure competent design, including the choice of design and materials, depending on climatic conditions and the general style of the building. Naturally, every homeowner wants to receive from the roof not only significant practical benefits, but also an aesthetically pleasing finish to the facade design, complementing it and bringing individuality to its appearance..
This type of roofing can hardly be called traditional, but recently it has enjoyed overwhelming success. First of all, such popularity is due to the emergence of such stylistic trends as modern, minimalism and hi-tech. Currents are renowned for their adherence to clear, straight lines. Also, such roofs owe their distribution to new high-quality materials that can guarantee high levels of protection against water and heat preservation..
A flat coating will complete the laconic design and will look strict and effective, but in addition to this obvious advantage, several others can be distinguished:
– A useful area appears for organizing a sports ground, a winter garden, or a recreation area equipped with a barbecue, light furniture, a pergola or other shed;
– The space is also used for technological devices: an air conditioner, a water collection system, an antenna and even a solar battery;
– It is easier to care for a flat roof, and maintenance of all devices and items on it is simplified;
– Laying this roof takes less time and effort than other analogues.
The dormer top will not only complement and decorate the architectural idea of the house, but also add square meters to the living space. This is a very convenient solution, because such a building is cheaper and easier than building another floor. At the same time, the allotted space can be safely used to create a wonderful cozy bedroom or living room..
If you are on the verge of a roof overhaul, which includes a complete replacement of materials, be sure to take the opportunity, since the costs will compensate themselves in full:
– You get additional thermal insulation – the living space retains heat much better than an empty attic or an ordinary roof. At the same time, care should be taken to ensure proper ventilation to avoid excessive accumulation of moisture;
– Modern furniture is quite mobile and laconic in order to use the resulting meters as efficiently as possible. In general, for decorating an attic interior, refer to styles such as Scandinavian, minimalism or rustic – within these trends, you will find many variations for arranging a comfortable and functional room;
– Extensive window openings provide the room with abundant daylight.
With all the indisputable advantages, the attic roof obliges to pay special attention to the condition of the load-bearing walls, since they are not always able to withstand such a load..
The construction of a pitched roof is a plane resting on walls of different heights. The difference in the length of the bearing walls actually determines the level of the slope of the slope.
The flat surfaces represent a special modern aesthetics that add character and rigor to the entire building with their clear forms. On the other hand, if the roof turns out to be quite extensive in the project, it should be taken into account immediately that a sufficiently acute angle of inclination is required for effective drainage of precipitation. Also, during the installation process, difficulties may arise with the provision of thermal insulation..
Among the main advantages of a pitched roof, the following positions should be indicated:
– The roof will create an original space for design delights on the ceiling inside the building;
– A small mass allows you to choose this type of roof for a house without a foundation or with its lightweight variations – screw or columnar;
– Carrying out repair work does not imply any particular difficulties, since it is safe to be at the top of the structure;
– Installation does not require high financial costs, complex calculations and high professional skills from the builder.
A familiar option to everyone, it is he who is often depicted in their drawings by small children. Structurally, a gable roof is a slope of the same size, which rests on the walls and meet each other in the middle..
Symmetry gives rise to the classic geometry of the lines and the harmony of combining practicality with visual appeal. The space under the cover forms an attic, where it is convenient to store things and install a ventilation system. The gable roof provides a natural drainage system for snow and water. It is inexpensive and easy enough to build such a weather protection..
As for the negative aspects of the project, the degree of slope of the roof will depend on the choice of building material. The angle can be at least 22 degrees, if you stop on slate or tiles, the metal version of the roof requires about 14 degrees, and the profiled sheet obliges to 12 degrees.
An effective modification of a gable roof – multi-level, creating broken lines. She is able to add originality to the architecture of the house, but also oblige to accurate calculations and a professional approach..
A hip roof is essentially a hip roof, on which the fronts replace the triangular ramps (hips). Such a device makes the structure very resistant to strong winds and heavy rainfall, and, importantly, adds originality to the architectural idea..
The rigidity of the structure allows it to practically not change over time, as well as to create overhangs on each side of it, additionally protecting against adverse weather conditions. There are also varieties of hip roof – half-hip and hip roof. The slopes of the latter are connected at one point, it is perfect for square and rectangular buildings..
Some of the difficulties you may face:
– The complexity of the roof involves painstaking calculations and measurements, a long and difficult installation;
– High price;
– The attic space is small, and therefore not always suitable for creating an attic;
– In the case of an attic space, its windows will directly interact with precipitation, which can lead to moisture leakage inside. This trouble can be leveled by covering the openings before the rain, but this is not always convenient.
It is built in the form of a set of polygons that combine several gable parts. This creates a non-trivial and attractive roof. The roof is quite complex in its design and execution..
The building for the installation of this top must have a tiered or square shape. Multi-gable roof completes houses with intricate layouts, including the presence of an attic.
The main advantages are the following properties:
– Strength and durability. The rafter system is perfectly balanced, which allows you to carry heavy loads;
– Ability to organize free space or attic;
– Nice and interesting look along with practicality. Sharp slopes of the slopes minimize the influence of the external environment, water and snow do not stagnate on the roof surface.
In general, the disadvantages are that construction will require serious professional experience, separate attention to detail, as well as serious financial costs for materials..
After selecting a suitable structure for your future roof, you need to decide on the materials that will form its basis. Among the wide selection that is provided by the modern construction market, we have collected the most popular of them:
Ceramic roof tiles. The material has established itself as the best possible in any climatic conditions. A roof for a private house made of tiles has a beautiful shape and texture, is reliable in the process of use, does not require frequent maintenance and is incredibly durable. If the roof was laid with high quality, then the service life can be more than a hundred years..
Porous clay reduces thermal conductivity, but it is this property that can lead to the absorption of water, which, when frozen, will destroy it. To avoid such troubles, cover the ceramic roof with glaze, so the quality indicators will not decrease even in the most severe climatic conditions..
Metal roof tiles – This is one of the most modern options for roof cladding with a slope of 12-15 degrees. A beautiful imitation of a clay analogue is reliable and wear-resistant, is not afraid of snow or sunlight, and therefore is incredibly popular.
Metal corrugated board also a fairly common material for roofing work. The rich color palette will give your home an elegant and attractive look. Quality characteristics, functionality, as well as low prices allow using the material for a variety of finishing works: wall cladding, production of fences and gates. Thus, there is a good opportunity for the embodiment of a single architectural concept..
Bituminous slate, also known as ondulin, is made from cellulose fibers and impregnated with bitumen, resins, pigments and mineral additives. Ondulin is environmentally friendly, inexpensive, practically does not absorb moisture, and is resistant to alkalis and acids. In addition, the material has high sound insulation, has a wide range of color variations and is easy to install, and can also be used on curved surfaces..
At the same time, the bituminous coating burns out in the sun and is characterized by an increased fire hazard. Summer heat and winter frost make it difficult to move on the roof. But it will be fair to say that many of the highest quality modifications smooth out or even completely neutralize these shortcomings..
Finally, select tempered glass sheets or double-glazed windows for the manufacture of a separate part of the roof. For example, a canopy over a veranda, a greenhouse, or even a kitchen or living room. The idea is certainly interesting, since the coating will become a real highlight and will decorate both the exterior of the house and, of course, the space under the roof. Glass can withstand high loads from moisture, snow and wind.
Summing up, we note that when choosing a building material, one should be guided by a simple rule: the stronger the roofing, the less the slope of the slope can be. This approach will ensure a long operational period of the structure, as well as minimal impact from adverse weather conditions..