The name of this stylistic trend speaks for itself in many ways, but few know that the Mediterranean style in the interior includes not only summer-marine design motives, but also the rich flavor of a whole group of warm countries with interesting traditions: Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey. , Egypt, France. Such a contrasting and at the same time cozy interior will be able to please you and visually make up for the lack of sunlight in the cold season..
Features of the Mediterranean style
Each interior design has its own distinctive characteristics. Mediterranean style combines romantic aesthetics, laconic functionality and maximum comfort. The main features of the direction include the following points:
1. Sunny colors. The right choice of light shades of finishes, textiles and furniture can fill the room with light. The following colors will look harmonious: turquoise, lavender, light blue, light green, olive, peach, sand, white, golden, red.
2. Natural materials. It is best that furniture, decoration and decor (at least 50%) consist of the following components: wood, glass, stone, iron, silver.
3. Light curtains. Textile fabric should not be dense and dark. It is best to choose airy materials in natural shades. Small patterns will also look good. Curtains with drapery are not allowed.
4. High ceiling. It is also one of the conditions for a successful Mediterranean interior design. Ceiling colors can range from milky to sandy.
5. The minimum number of accessories. No decor detail should weigh down the overall light atmosphere. Concise and functional things (clocks, candles, paintings) that will harmoniously complement the overall picture will be a good solution..
6. Presence of mosaic elements. This creative option is also considered optimal for Mediterranean motives. Small ceramic tiles can be used to complete the task. Such an unusual decor is built in most often in the kitchen and in the corridor..
7. Original furniture upholstery. Here you can show your creativity with the right set of applications and paints.
8. A combination of two colors. Compliance with such a simple rule turns any room into a design work of art. Successful shade options: white and blue, peach and turquoise, beige and green.
Finishes and materials
Favorable adherence to the thematic design direction is not only the correct choice of the color palette, textiles and furniture, but also the creation of the correct finish.
Light sunny tones must prevail. This is the basis of everything, so a high-quality whitewash will be a simple and aesthetic solution. Decorating with wooden beams (or their imitation) will look more original.
In the matter of wall covering, it is worth including imagination. Decorative plaster and colored small mosaics will be the right elements. Each of these options is able to skillfully emphasize all the beauty of the home..
One of the most famous options is wood. Tiles and laminate flooring are next. It is best to choose shades that are one or two levels different from the walls. Such a successful combination will create an excellent, but at the same time slightly noticeable contrast..
Mediterranean style furniture
First of all, it should be noted that the furnishing of rooms in Mediterranean design should not be too conservative and austere. The color scheme, shape and composition of furniture can be completely different. Popular aesthetic solutions are large wooden chests for clothes, dressers of simple design, metal supports, glass sideboards and furniture made of untreated wood. This choice will help create comfortable, stylish and practical rooms..
Decor and lighting
For an original thematic design of a room, you should always use the right decor and lighting. The main thing is imagination and an individual approach that will help to embody the Mediterranean mood. The decor can be sea stones of an unusual shape, panels made of shells, fresh flowers, colorful photo frames in blue shades, glass vases, handmade accessories and landscape painting depicting the sea, ocean or coast. The light should be bright: neat chandeliers, wall lamps, spotlights, floor lamps and lamps.
Interiors in Mediterranean style – photo
When you start decorating your home, it is not necessary to follow the motives of one colorful country. Each room can be a versatile option for completely different traditions..
Mediterranean style bedroom design
The basis of this style is laconicism. For example, a Greek bedroom should have functional furniture (bed, sideboards, sideboards), as well as decorated dressers, armchairs and tables. You can dilute the monotony with the help of original decor, unusual colors, as well as colorful rugs and blankets, which will undoubtedly become the highlight of the room. Italian notes are furniture made of beautiful metal, designer carvings and symmetrical patterns. In all other respects, it is worth considering the harmonious combination of light colors and special elements of the selected country. Such a cozy bedroom will give a comfortable rest and a positive mood to its owners..
Children’s design in Mediterranean style
There are two main approaches to decorating a child’s room with a southern touch. The first is a Greek motif that includes contrasts of white with other colors. The second option is Italian design. It is characterized by warm transitions, delicate hues and lack of contrasts. Also, do not forget about decorative frescoes, bright mosaics, paintings from seashells, which will appeal to all children..
Living room design in Mediterranean style
The main feature of the Mediterranean countries is that their residents value family and friendly gatherings at a meal. For them, it becomes a whole ritual. Therefore, there must be a table in the living room (preferably wooden, wicker or metal). Ceramic pots, amphorae, forged lamps and wooden accessories can be used as décor. It will also be easy to dilute the light shades of the finish with bright cushions or colored rugs..
Mediterranean style kitchen design
The choice of a person who wants to decorate his kitchen in such an extravagant style should fall on a kitchen set with inserts made of natural materials (glass, stone, metal), small cabinets with open shelves, chairs with wide or slightly curved backs and a sink in bronze shades. In all other respects, the kitchen corner can combine muted colors and bright shades, as well as many small practical accessories that will delight the eye and will not overshadow the general background..
Mediterranean style bathroom design
This corner of the house has a special function of relaxation before and after the start of the working day. Southern motives will do a wonderful job with this goal. The main rule for decorating a Mediterranean-style bathroom is a miniature rounded bathtub (or shower cabin) and the maximum amount of natural materials, from finishing components to bath accessories. The most frequent choice of connoisseurs of this direction is decoration in the Roman or Egyptian style.
Hallway design in Mediterranean style
For this small space, a handcrafted cabinet (filled with nautical souvenirs), aged mirrors and flooring that will resemble natural elements are great. The following colors will give a special charm to the hallway: emerald, pistachio, sand, coffee.