Even a small coffee table can be a great functional piece of furniture. Endowed with high decorative qualities, it will also act as an original accent that will adequately complement the overall concept of the room style. This is how you can describe a glass coffee table that will never go unnoticed. It has a wide variety of models, which we will talk about in this article. We will also give advice on what to consider when buying..
Advantages and disadvantages
First of all, I would like to briefly describe the main advantages of a glass coffee table. These include:
– High strength and safety of the product. Modern transparent furniture is made of special tempered glass, which is difficult to break. Even if it does, the shards will have safe edges;
– Resistance to conditions of high humidity, temperature extremes, which ensures the durability of the product;
– Simplicity of care;
– The ability to perform a number of functions in the interior – a glass coffee table can serve as a minibar, bedside table, serving table, storage space for magazines, newspapers, and various trifles;
– High decorative performance, achieved not only by the originality of the forms, but also by different methods of painting, drawing, etc .;
– Excellent compatibility with other materials (wood, metal, stone), from which the base and frame are often made. Products that are finished or made of wood look solid and massive. Forged coasters under the countertops are able to add lightness and grace to the atmosphere. Supports made of rattan or woven thick branches look beautiful and original, which are clearly visible under the transparent tabletop;
– The table does not visually clutter up the space due to its transparency, lightness of construction;
– Glass furniture is appropriate for interiors of any style.
In addition to many advantages, glass tables also have disadvantages. On the glass, dirt is quite clearly visible – fingerprints, stains, so the countertop should be washed frequently using special products. Glass furniture, especially designer exclusive items, are quite expensive. If financial opportunities are limited, you can pay attention to cheaper options for domestic or Chinese production. It is worth considering that it is not recommended to install heavy objects on a glass tabletop and, moreover, to move them over the surface – this can lead to the formation of scratches and chips.
Types of glass coffee tables
Today there is a huge range of models of elegant glass tables. Next, we will review the main varieties, dividing them conditionally into groups depending on certain features..
Depending on the design
Glass coffee tables are capable of performing many functions thanks to additional mechanisms. There are models such as:
1. Monolithic – the simplest option in terms of design, which implies the presence of a solid frame with a table top. He is not able to change, but he has excellent decorative data;
2. Sliding – an improved design that contains a synchronous mechanism that extends the area of the tabletop. This is a very convenient model, since when folded it takes up little space in the room, but when guests meet it turns into a spacious table for a friendly tea party;
3. Folding – similar to the previous, transforming model. Its difference lies in the fact that the surface increases due to the appearance of additional elements. This type of tables has a wide range of models, where you can choose both standard symmetrical options and unique stylish design solutions with asymmetry..
Depending on the number and type of legs
Unlike conventional tables, current tables can have a different number of legs. At the same time, the very appearance of the supports can be quite original. Tabletops on one leg or a round support made of wood or metal are in great demand..
A stylish option is coffee tabletops on glass side edges, which seem almost invisible in the interior. Tables on wheels are also quite convenient, which can be easily moved if necessary..
When choosing this or that model, you need to focus on the general style of the interior. Metal crossed or glass supports are ideal for modern trends, wooden legs for ethnic, rustic styles. Tables on four legs are a classic option that will be appropriate in any interior.
Depending on the size and shape
Today it is not difficult to purchase or custom-make a glass coffee table of any size. The choice depends on the size of the room and the personal wishes of the owners. A transforming table would be a good option for a small living room. If he had the fate of playing the role of a bedside table, you can stay on a small model that will not take up much space in the bedroom..
The shapes are also completely varied: from the usual round, square, rectangular to the most curved ones. For small and cramped rooms, a round tabletop is preferable, the streamlined shape of which is safer (especially if there are children in the house). In a spacious living room, a square or rectangular table is relevant..
And if you really want to surprise your guests, go ahead and search for individual products that are made to order. These can be curly options or abstraction tables, which often do not carry a special functional load. The original design has tables in the form of a cube or oval one-, two-tier models.
Glass coffee tables design
The main advantage of glass furniture is the infinite number of decoration options. Frosted countertops are in great demand, perfectly complementing the modern minimalism of interiors. This option is also quite practical, since fingerprints and dust are less noticeable on the frosted glass, and the surface itself is able to gently diffuse light..
In the manufacture of tables, colored glass (lacobel) is often used, which has a uniform color. These can be plain countertops or with prints in the form of floral patterns, geometric sketches, carved ornaments, or simply strict lines..
Translucent brown and black are considered fashionable shades of glass coffee tables. These countertops can be fitted with chrome or wood frames. In any case, they are able to create a special atmosphere of presentability and chic..
Colored tables – blue, gray, green – can be matched to the color of the interior, or, conversely, they can be used to create an accent zone. Glass structures with the organization of internal space for an aquarium or florarium look very unusual.
Things to consider when buying
We have already said that furniture made of heavy-duty glass is distinguished by its high cost, therefore, the choice of a model must be approached quite scrupulously. First of all, you need to decide what functional responsibilities will be assigned to the coffee table. A small family may be limited to a compact design with an additional shelf or niche. This will be enough to accommodate a couple of cups of tea and your favorite magazine..
If it is customary in the family to meet guests or arrange family gatherings, you can opt for transforming options. You also need to think about whether it will be necessary to move the table – perhaps the best option would be a model on wheels. For a large family, a table with several shelves on which you can place a lot of things would be a good option..
One of the important points that deserve special attention is the selection of a model that matches the style of the interior. Classic designs have simple configurations. Countertops are usually oval or rectangular in shape. The support consists of four legs, which can be wood, carved or forged.
The top of a coffee table in the Art Nouveau style is often made of colored glass, and expensive materials are used for the base – rare wood, stone, as well as forged parts. This style is quite close to nature, therefore, floral ornaments, ornate floral patterns can be traced in the decor of the furniture..
The ultra-modern high-tech style offers simple geometric or streamlined shapes. Straight and oblique lines prevail in the design of furniture. A coffee table with a stainless steel frame will look appropriate, and wood in structures is extremely rare.
Modern minimalism, which promotes simplicity and functionality, will complement a transforming table or a design on wheels without unnecessary patterns, ornaments and other pretentious elements.
A feature of rural areas, such as country, Provence, is comfort and coziness. Here, natural materials are used, mainly in light shades, and glass in the best way emphasizes the lightness and openness of the interior. The table can have a solid base made of natural wood with elements of carving or abrasion. At home, such tables are decorated with decoupage technique. Structures with forged elements or equipped with wheels look no less attractive..
Glass coffee tables – photo
A glass coffee table can add originality to any room, turning into an elegant interior decoration. Glass furniture is always beautiful and stylish. In our photo gallery, we have collected the best pictures that demonstrate the ability of a coffee table to make a room design stylish and functional. Happy viewing!