Carpets are an important interior detail
Carpets on the floor have long ceased to be associated simply with a covering, which has one main function – to make the floor warmer. Today, it is a full-fledged piece of whimsical decor variations and even almost a work of art. Practicality has given way to beauty, because for warmth, well-developed technologies allow you to install radiators or underfloor heating. The abundance of varieties is so striking to the eye that sometimes we simply get lost in the assortment and for a long time do not find the answer to the question of how to choose a carpet for the interior. In such cases, leading designers come to our aid and willingly share their recommendations..
Light carpet with a pattern in a classic bedroom
White carpet with textured roses in the interior
Beige carpet in the interior of the living room
A few decades ago, a carpet was considered an indicator of status, only a few could afford to buy it, and therefore people saved up their last money and bought at least a small track. Today there are other materials – linoleum, laminate and parquet, which, with skillful selection, look impressive and have an undeniable advantage – ease of maintenance! But this is an option for very zealous people who do not want to spend extra time cleaning and think about the question of how to choose a carpet for the interior. Photos of such rooms are ascetic and spacious, but do they feel comfortable? As a rule, no. That is why carpets are immortal, and no matter how capricious fashion goes around, they can change the structure of the material, shape, colors, even purpose, but they will never go into oblivion..
Multicolored striped carpet in a bright kitchen
Having conceived to decorate a house or apartment with carpets, you need to know a few basic criteria that you should rely on when choosing the desired interior detail. It is shape, size, color, material and compatibility with the environment..
Light carpet in the interior of the living room
To correctly correlate the dimensions of the carpet and rooms, you need to take into account two main points – to measure the total area of the room and the place where our “decorative friend” is supposed to lie. Then we minus 25 cm from the walls, furniture and other things that will surround it, and estimate the approximate parameters.
A medium-sized round rug will allow you to divide the room into zones
By size, carpets are divided into:
- small – up to 3 m2;
- medium – from 3 to 5-6 m2;
- large – from 6 m2 and more.
The choice of quantity and dimensions will depend on the method of placement on the floor..
A small long rug looks good in a bright kitchen
To observe external harmony, you need to remember one simple rule – the amount of coverage should be no more than a third of the room. This means that versions are possible – either one large carpet in the center, or two equivalent in different zones, for example, one in the center, the second in the far part between the TV and the sofa, or on different sides of the bed, if it is a bedroom. The main thing is that they together cover no more than a third of the room..
Tip: Large carpets make rooms visually smaller, especially if they are of dark shades, however, and a small carpet will look quite comical in a large room. You need to clearly correlate such things.
The correct ratio of carpet size to room size
The shapes of carpets today not only repeat all types of geometric shapes – circles, ovals, polygons, squares, trapezoids, etc., but also come in the form of flowers, animals, drops, snowflakes and even ghosts. Fantasies of designers often completely erase every conceivable framework..
A round table and a round rug will decorate the dining area.
How to be? Ideally, you need to take into account the geometry of the furniture, if rectangular tables, sofas, wardrobes prevail – the same should be the adjacent carpet, the same with circles and ovals. However, modern decorators assure that everything is possible today! If you want to add a note of negligence to the classic chic, feel free to add, even on the floor of the living room, library or large bedroom, there is a tea rose or a white ghost. The main thing is not to frequent – such elements should work in contrast and be in a single copy, otherwise the effect of surprise and zest will be lost..
Shabby rectangular carpets add a touch of casualness to the interior and create a more relaxed atmosphere
As for the content, the material can be any, as well as the length of the pile (all carpets are divided into short-pile, medium-pile and long-pile).
- Wool. These are expensive, but high-quality classics, such products are produced in factories from sheep’s wool, they are pleasant to the touch, elastic enough and able to serve faithfully for up to 50 years, remaining almost in their original form. They are distinguished by calm tones and are suitable for any kind of interiors. However, there are also disadvantages – they get dirty very quickly and moths can eat them or spoil the mold, you will have to treat with special means and monitor the humidity of the room..
Woolen carpets look expensive and look luxurious in a classic interior
- Silk. This radiant luxury is even more expensive than wool, but the quality quickly pays for itself. Silk carpets are incredibly durable and beautiful, because the texture of the material gives a unique opportunity to work out any image as clearly as possible! Silk carpets are so exquisite that they are often compared with the canvases of great painters and are spared to be laid on the floor, using sofas and bedspreads as bedspreads..
Silk rug blends harmoniously with antique household items in the bathroom
- Viscose. This is an artificial art, it looks very much like silk, but in fact it is cellulose. Not only do they reproduce the quality of detailed drawings of silk “masterpieces”, they still do not wrinkle, do not wipe off from time, do not get very dirty, and most importantly, they are several times cheaper. It is an ideal solution for all families with children, cats and dogs – inexpensive and beautiful.
Viscose carpet in the interior of the living room
- Nylon. These are carpets made of polyamide, which give bright patterns, high strength and wear rates, interesting elasticity and one very important quality for families with small children – they do not catch fire. So, if, as in the movie “Back to the Future”, your son or daughter accidentally sets fire to the carpet in the living room, be gentle with them..
Bright nylon carpets in the interior of the hallway
- Polypropylene. These are the most inexpensive, beautiful, smooth, bright and easy-to-care carpets, but their service life is short, their maximum is 5 years. On the other hand, it will provide an opportunity to update the interior..
Polypropylene carpet in the children’s room
- Polyester. They resemble woolen counterparts, they are almost as soft and wear-resistant, look luxurious in a long-haired version and also retain heat well, ideal for living rooms. But there are also two drawbacks: they “shoot”, polyester is an ideal accumulator for static electricity, and they do not hold their shape well if they have to be washed, or if something has deformed them..
Polyester carpets look luxurious in a modern interior
When choosing a shape and material, everything will be based on the size of the budget, the method of application and the accompanying circumstances – the presence of small children and animals. Of course, you can spend money on a snow-white carpet with a long natural pile, but does it make sense when your dog tramples it, a black cat clogs it, or kids paint it? Or does it make sense to lay a thin handmade silk rug on the floor when it would be much more appropriate to recline as a bedspread in an oriental bedroom?
If everyone in your house is neat, you can afford light colors and a natural composition, in other cases synthetics are also suitable, the decision will depend on the fantasies and prudence of the owners.
Tip: the designers noticed a very beautiful moment – the long-piled barks go very well with the fireplace, located in this zone, they best create a feeling of warmth and comfort.
Long-pile carpets in the bedroom interior
Since carpets are bought not for the season, but for many years, the choice of color is very important, it is directly related to the pattern. If you’re not sure if a vibrant color is right for you, there is a versatile palette that will work flawlessly in any kind of interior. This is a multifaceted beige and different shades of brown – from coffee, chocolate to almost burgundy. The same scheme will be with the choice of pattern – unobtrusive and smoothly flowing patterns, geometric shapes, ripples or simply flowing into each other shades of the same color.
Bright color accents in the interior can be created with a carpet
Lovers of extravagance can choose whatever their heart desires, relying only on 4 points of the combination, which will slightly adjust the direction and will not let the fantasy take you away in the direction of bad taste.
What the color of the carpet should be combined with:
- the general tone of wallpaper or painting;
- shades of furniture;
- floor covering.
Advice: carpets can be of the same color scheme with walls, furniture and curtains, but they should not be chosen exactly in the tone of the floor, as they will “merge” with it, and the interior will lose its bright accent.
Harmonious combination of carpet with the interior: repetition of floral motives of wallpaper and carpet
And yet, the main priority room, where we can most often find a carpet, is the living room. As a rule, this is the largest room that will allow any experiment, the main thing is to remember the rules of size and compatibility.!
If we want to emphasize the geometry of the room and furniture, it is worth choosing carpets with clear shapes. By the way, it is not necessary to lay a “rectangle under rectangles” or “circles and ovals under roundness”, sometimes a carpet in the form of an ellipse emphasizes the severity of clear shapes and vice versa..
A clean-cut rug looks great in a classic living room
Upholstery with a similar pattern or decorative pillows to match can serve as a link between furniture and a carpet in the living room. Also with curtains or wallpaper – a color palette or pattern can combine them with a carpet.
Matching carpet, upholstery and curtains
With regard to practicality: the living room is the most walk-through room where guests are constantly welcomed and households and all your pets (if any) live during the day, therefore it is in the living room that the carpet should have a high density. It is easy to check this moment, when buying, bend the edge and see – the more the base to which the pile is attached is visible, the worse the density and the better dirt will be clogged there..
Long-pile carpets in a contrasting color will dilute the interior of a spacious living room
Tip: for the living room, it is better to take a carpet with the highest density, this will facilitate maintenance.
Recently, and for quite a long time, designers for some reason said a firm “no” to flower patterns, but if you like the Provence style, you should not give up your favorite theme for the sake of fashion. After all, your home is your fortress, and you should be comfortable there..
What else we should know when choosing a carpet:
- The product should not emit strong or extraneous odors.
- Woolen carpets should be impregnated with special compounds from moths.
- If you’re buying a handmade living room rug, you need to look at the inside out too. The ornament and color must completely match the front side. Also, there must always be the signature of the author..
- If lint starts to pour out of the carpet you just bought, don’t panic. The first few days are normal, some debris is natural due to storage and transportation.
- Harder doesn’t mean better! Many people believe that the heavier the carpet, the better and richer it is – nothing like that. More often the same “harder” means – harder to move, wash and care for.
- Children are very fond of unusual things, and there are rugs that do not quite fit the classic description. But these products are also durable and wear-resistant, and, most importantly, are interesting for kids. For example, some leather products with interweaving of other materials and bright colors. They can contain “depressed” marks or raised elements. They are not so expensive, but in the children’s room all sorts of panda carpets or imitations for sand with grooves coinciding with the feet look interesting.
Unusual carpet of multicolored threads in the bedroom of a teenager
Choosing a carpet for the interior of any room is important, but not as difficult as it might seem. The main thing is to remember and compare several simple criteria – size, shape, color, compatibility. Do not forget to take with you the calculated and recorded dimensions of the place where the update will lie. And then even the largest assortment will not make you get confused and make a mistake when choosing.