Thanks to the large glazing, the bay window helps to extend the daylight hours in the adjoining room.
The bay window (from the German “ledge in the wall”, although a clearer idea gives a different interpretation – “lantern”, because the bay window illuminated from the inside really strongly resembles it) is a glazed ledge on the facade of the building. The facades of houses with bay windows look not only spectacular, stylish and solemn, they allow you to add uniqueness to the interior design of the building.
In addition to aesthetic appeal, the bay window is very functional:
- it helps to increase the usable living space, which is especially important for small houses (apartments)
- thanks to large glazing, it helps to extend the daylight hours in the adjoining room, due to natural light, saving on electricity
Bay window successfully decorates the house, giving it an unusual shape
- allows you to effectively carry out zoning of premises
Such a protrusion can correspond in area to an entire room, or it can represent only a slight bend of the wall.
- it offers an excellent view of the surrounding area
Bay window will give a unique look to your home
The bay window itself is a dominant element in the exterior decor of the house, which allows you to turn a simple project into a kind of medieval palace, with its own history, secrets and atmosphere. Meanwhile, the bay window can be quite simply combined with other architectural elements of facade decoration:
- with a balcony – a project of a two-story house with a bay window on the first floor, which turns into a balcony on the second – one of the most demanded in suburban construction. Outside, from the very foundation, the bay window protrusion begins, which, upon reaching the second floor, smoothly passes into the balcony, exactly repeating the contours of the bay window. At the same time, the balcony itself can represent a fenced space, be glazed or simply covered.
In the space formed by the arch of the bay window, you can arrange a home studio, a small gym or a bathroom.
- with an attic – an option for a small plot, when, despite the lack of space, you can get a compact, but at the same time very functional house. At the same time, there may be several options for placing a bay window – both more traditional, for example, on the ground floor, or less rare – in the attic. And since the attic is often set aside for the bedroom, this option looks quite organic.
Bay window and attic
- two bay windows – this option will allow you to get a uniquely unique view of the building. As a rule, in this case, bay windows are used to equip the kitchen / dining room and living room. This combination will not look overwhelming only on large enough houses. It is desirable that the bay windows are different in height – for example, one is for the entire height of the house, the second is smaller, only one floor. The project of a house with two bay windows will require careful and comprehensive study – it is a very difficult task to correctly enter two of such quite complex architectural elements, while keeping the overall structure of the house reliable and safe.
Bay window on the second floor
Depending on the general style of the building, bay windows can be of different types and shapes:
- square (rectangular) – the easiest to implement, therefore – the most common. It does not require the construction of complex structures, the project of a one-story house with a bay window will slightly add to the original cost, but it will significantly add to the exterior of the building.In addition, this version of the bay window is very easy to reasonably fit into the interior of the house. Despite its outward simplicity, the square bay window is practical and comfortable.
Square (rectangular) – the easiest to implement, therefore – the most common
- round – this option is also called “Venetian”, it will look harmoniously both in the middle of the wall and instead of one of the corners of the house. At the same time, it immediately becomes the dominant element in the entire architectural ensemble. And so that the Venetian bay window does not turn into a gaudy lurid spot, it will require a competent and balanced design approach – both in the exterior and in the interior.
Round bay window
- multifaceted – due to its complex design, it looks very interesting. The project of a country house with a multifaceted bay window can be seen as a compromise between a simple rectangular and the sophistication of a round bay window..
Multifaceted bay window – due to its complex design, it looks very interesting
Advice! Extension of a bay window to a finished building – an opportunity to effectively expand living space without large investments.
Round bay window creates a sense of comfort in your interior
The functional content and design of the bay window is determined by the room in which it is located:
Bay window in the living room. This option allows you to get a fairly isolated recreation area (chill-out) or soft area. A sofa can be installed under the window opening – this will relieve the main area of the living room and make it spacious. Alternatively, for a small bay window – two armchairs and between them – a coffee table, a place for secluded gatherings or a conversation with a close friend.
Bay window in the living room
Round bay window in a bright living room
Large and bright living room
A good choice of a round table in a bay window
Bay window with library elements
Bay window in the dining room. Allows you to competently and rationally zoning the space – into the dining (dining) area and the kitchen itself. In the bay window, you can put a round dining table, to save space along the window, install a narrow soft bench or make seats from the window sill. On the one hand, this will allow you to accommodate more guests, on the other, with a small number of guests, it will give up chairs, thereby maintaining visual contact with the kitchen area. And the person working in the kitchen can take part in the general conversation, he will not feel “cut off”.
Bay window in the dining room
A bay window next to the kitchen delicately creates a separate, cozy dining area, separating it from the living room
Bay window in a snow-white interior
Round bay window in a spacious room
It is very convenient to place a sofa in a bay window
Bay window in the bedroom. It can be turned into a small boudoir, a private space for privacy – reading books, listening to music, socializing on social networks. A minimum of furniture is required here – it will be enough to put a few stylish soft pillows (a small mattress or even just a blanket) on a high saucer. Or install a bench with storage niches along the window. The option with armchairs and a coffee table is quite controversial only if you are going to receive very close, most trusted people in the bedroom.
A bay window allows plenty of light into your bedroom
Bay window in the bedroom
A bay window with a large window is a great place to relax
A bay window with large windows allows the maximum amount of natural light into the house
One pleasure is reading on a comfortable sofa in the bay window.
Bay window in the nursery. Here you can create a workplace, a play area, but better – just a cozy corner, a special world and a child’s space
Bay window in the nursery
The bay window in the nursery will give it an unusual shape
Bay window is a separate room. Most often formed in a round (multifaceted) corner bay window. Here you can arrange a study, a corner of a glass house, a winter garden, a reading room (fortunately, there is always a lot of natural light).
Cozy place to relax in the bay window
Working corner in the bay window
Bay window loggia
High glazed bay window
Advice! A bay window with solid glazing looks very impressive, but it will require reliable thermal insulation, so the best approach is to glaze only half of the protruding wall. Full glass bay window suitable for summer houses