Wardrobe in the children’s room: How not to make a mistake with the choice? 205+ (Photo) designs with options (wardrobe, corner, built-in)
Children’s wardrobes are an integral part of any children’s room. The variety is so great that you can pick it up for any style or design. And the most important thing is that they can accommodate things, toys, books. More details about everything further in the article..
Children’s wardrobe, a photo of which can be shown to friends or posted on the Internet, has the following characteristics:
- relevance – the most convenient cabinet is of little use if it gets out of the general decor of the room;
- reliability – a well-made wardrobe can stand in one place for a decade or even two, and if you want to update the design of a room, you can simply change its design doors;
- convenience – it is important for the child that there is space in the closet for clothes, for books, for toys and for favorite collections of comics, stones, cards and anything else.
The main thing is that the wardrobe fits into the overall style of the room.
In order for all the characteristics to be combined, you need to make an effort to choose a cabinet. Think about what kind of design it should have, what it should be made of, how it will fit into the interior.
The construction of the cabinet is as important as the material from which it is made. There are three aspects that matter:
- case design – it depends on it how much space the cabinet will take in the room and how it will look as a whole;
- door construction – it depends on it how convenient the doors will be to open and how they will be finished;
- internal structure – it depends on it how convenient it will be to use the cabinet, how many compartments there will be, additional accessories.
Each cabinet has its own design – simple or more complex
It is better to disassemble each of the aspects separately from the others..
By design, the cabinet can be, first of all, a cabinet – this is the most classic, familiar option, in which it has walls, doors, a lid and a back wall. The advantages of this solution are obvious:
- it’s easy to design – it is very easy to come up with a box made of wood of any intricate shape, since you do not need to take into account any characteristics of the room;
- it can be moved – when he gets bored in one place, he can always be moved;
- it’s easy to place – the case solution can be placed anywhere in the room.
Cabinet cabinets are easy to move
There are also three disadvantages:
- such a cabinet takes up a lot of space – some is spent on the walls;
- it is difficult to combine with another furniture – unless, of course, it is included in the headset;
- it can break or fall – with a strong impact on the wall of the cabinet, it can crack, and the whole structure will sway and fall on its side.
Cabinet cabinets are rectangular, semicircular, and also triangular – that is, corner. Sometimes they are made in the shape of the letter “L” to increase the capacity.
Can have a wide variety of shapes
They also have a variety – modular systems, they are also transformer cabinets. This design includes additional furniture. It happens that it is screwed to the wall table, and one of shelves hangs over him. It happens that behind the cabinet door is a folded bed. It happens that the wardrobe becomes one of the bed supports on the second level, and on the second side it is supported by a high computer desk.
This design has advantages:
- well suited for a small room – all pieces of furniture in it are combined very compactly;
- universal – you don’t have to think about how to arrange furniture, but just buy a ready-made modular system;
- matches perfectly – after all, all the items in it are of the same style and color.
Sometimes a convertible wardrobe is just right.
The main disadvantage is that the model system is very cumbersome, takes up almost all the space in the room, and also does not imply any rearrangements.. If one day you get tired that the bed is standing like this, and the wardrobe has this shape, you just have to change everything.
AdviceThe cabinet is a classic. If you have a classic interior, and there is a lot of space in the nursery, it will be an excellent solution..
Cabinet wardrobe for a classic interior
Built-in wardrobes are usually partially devoid of walls – they are built right into the room itself. Its walls become the walls for the closet. Usually, the process uses initially available convenient niches..
This design has advantages:
- takes up less space than body;
- provides some sound insulation – when the wall is closed by a wardrobe, audibility through it deteriorates very much, which is useful for a nursery;
- more spacious – the cabinet is limited in height, while the built-in one usually rises to the very ceiling, which opens up space for additional shelves;
- cheaper – because less material is used;
- more secure – the case can fall, built-in never;
- masks wall defects – if one of them is crooked, no one will see it in the closet anyway.
Built-in wardrobes are cheaper
There are also disadvantages to built-in constructs:
- cannot be moved – once installed, the cabinet will remain in its place until you decide to completely dismantle it;
- difficult to assemble – you need to drill the walls, and this requires tools;
- holes remain – to put shelves, holes are made in the walls for screws.
Usually built-in wardrobes have sliding doors. This helps save even more space. They are rectangular, semicircular or angular..
The downside is that it cannot be rearranged.
And they also have an additional version – semi-built. It is used when there is no suitable niche. Then one wall of the room is used as the back wall, the other as the side wall, and the third side wall is made of the material from which the shelves are made..
There are no separate pros and cons of this design – they coincide with the pros and cons of a conventional built-in wardrobe..
AdviceThe built-in design is ideal for either a small children’s room or modern design. A cabinet cabinet, for example, will not fit into minimalism – but the built-in will look perfect.
Takes up much less space
The design of the doors determines how much space the cabinet will take up, as well as how it will look. There are two types.
The first is swing doors. This is a classic that is always in fashion. The doors simply open towards themselves, it is worth pulling the handle.
The pros are as follows:
- strength – if the hinges are well secured, they will withstand even an annoyed teenager who constantly slams the doors too hard;
- reliability – can last a decade or even two if lubricated;
- ease of replacement – if suddenly one loop breaks, it can be simply removed and then replaced with another, and the process is so simple that even a person who has never held tools in his hands can cope.
Doors reliability for decades
There are three cons:
- old-fashionedness – swing doors will not fit into modern styles at all;
- footprint – the swing door needs a place to open;
- insecurity – a sloppy child may hurt himself or pinch his finger.
Such doors are usually made for cabinet cabinets, which makes them even more bulky, but also adds a kind of charm. They look classic, modern photo printing, intricate engraved glass inserts are not compatible with them.
Such models are strong, will withstand any child.
The second type is sliding doors. They work on the principle of doors in a compartment, it is worth pulling for them and they move to the side.
This design has its advantages:
- space saving – there is no room for swing doors in a small room;
- aesthetics – there is no handle on the sliding door, you can paint or decorate it with a large printed photograph, hang a poster on it;
- modernity – such doors are perfectly combined with modern styles;
- safety – most of the sliding doors are equipped with a special device that does not allow them to be sharply moved or slammed.
Sliding structures in a teenager’s room
There are also disadvantages:
- it is difficult to install or replace – in order to hang the swing door, you just need to fix the hinges, and to put the sliding door, you need to mount a special rail, which only the master can handle;
- require a flat floor – the rail can only be placed on a perfectly flat floor;
- easily break down – if a low-quality fittings were purchased, if the doors were used too intensively, if someone ran into them at a run, the rail may bend, then it will have to be changed.
There are also open cabinets without doors at all – they are the hardest to disable, they do not require space to open, but they display all things on display, are accessible to dust. Usually they are draped with a curtain with a pretty pattern or used to store toys and books – collections that are pleasant to look at..
More commonly used for toys or books
AdviceProceed from two aspects: how big your nursery is and what style it is. If small in a modern style – definitely a wardrobe. If the big one is in the classic one – with hinged doors. If a small one in a classic one, you can put a narrow and high cabinet with hinged doors.
Ease of use depends on the internal design, therefore you need to treat it with great attention. There are different elements that can be used.
Pay special attention to the shelves
The first is the shelves, which are divided by height:
- Upper shelves. Taller than an adult and definitely taller than a child. Designed to store things that are currently not actively used. It can be summer things in winter, winter in summer, bored toys or memorabilia. You can hide gifts from the child there. They are not always found in cabinet cabinets – sometimes there is not enough height.
- Lower shelves. The adult will have to squat down, the child will bend slightly. They are usually put on shoes, which is not being used at a particular moment. It is good if there are aromatic sachets in it, which will relieve it of an unpleasant odor..
- Middle shelves. At the level of the eyes and chest of the child. It is convenient to put things that are used in everyday life on them. These are usually wearable clothing, one that does not wrinkle when folded neatly..
Shelves can be different in size and capacity.
Also, the shelves are divided according to their location:
- Open. They can be included in the design of even generally closed cabinets, being attached to the side wall in the form of a rack. Designed for storing things that are not afraid of dust and which are nice to see all the time. For a child, these are usually toys – few toddlers will agree to put them in the dark..
- Closed. Hiding behind doors, suitable for storing everything, but usually used for storing clothes.
In addition to the shelves, there are also other useful structural elements.. It:
- Boxes. Closed, ready to hide everything you put in them. Usually they store small things that are ready to constantly crumble – stationery, hair accessories, bracelets, badges, small toys..
- Baskets. Wire or wicker are, in fact, open boxes. They store small wardrobe items that are harmful to whine in an enclosed space. Usually these are underwear or socks, collected in a neat pile..
- Barbell. Used to hang clothes hangers on it. Each closet should have at least one copy so that you can hang classic trousers, shirts, blouses and any other clothes that can wrinkle if folded. Ideally, the bar is at such a level that the child can easily reach it..
- Belt hanger. If the child likes to wear trousers or skirts with belts, you can build a special hanger into the closet just for them, on which they can be viewed and quickly select one specific.
- Mirror. Sometimes it is simply irreplaceable – if the child likes to dress up, but there is no place for a growth mirror in the room. It is usually mounted on the back of the swing door so that you can immediately assess the result of changing clothes. If we are talking about a wardrobe, both of its doors outside can be mirrored..
A beautiful corner for your child
Light deserves special mention – it can serve several purposes:
- Help in finding things. It is relevant if the closet is deep and located so that the light from the window does not penetrate into it – or so that the child will block the natural light with his back.
- Illuminate the mirror. Relevant if there is not enough light from the window, but you want to consider yourself.
- Highlight things on the shelves. If the closet is open partially or completely, and the child uses it to seat toys or display their collections, you can arrange a real exhibition of them by lighting them beautifully.
It will be interesting for you:
Beautiful wardrobe-wall in the Living Room: 140+ Photos of large and modular Walls
Modern corner wardrobe in the bedroom: from small to large. What can be its content?
Built-in wardrobe in the hallway: 170+ Photos of design and ideas. Learning to properly organize the space
Bedroom wardrobe: find the wardrobe of your dreams. The most relevant and practical models
Modern design of wardrobes in the hallway: 95+ Photos – Ideas for interior renovation
Using luminaires for backlighting
In order to make light in the closet, use:
- Spotlights. Small, they give an even bright light in which you can see everything you need. They are used when the main purpose is not aesthetic, but purely practical. They are built either into the walls or into the cabinet structure. The cable is pulled from the nearest outlet – a good solution would be to place it somewhere on the wall near the back wall.
- LED Strip Light. It is used if the main purpose is just aesthetic. They can be of a variety of colors, they look perfect on glass shelves, illuminating them like outlandish jewelry. You can adjust the degree of backlighting and, if the inhabitant of the nursery is afraid of the dark, use it as a night light.
Consider the opinion and wishes of the child
AdviceIf you want your child to be really comfortable, discuss with him the issue of internal planning. You can even draw it with colored pencils. Then order a wardrobe that matches your discussion perfectly. This will help you make sure your child is comfortable and teach him a lesson in decision making..
A cabinet that is ideal in design costs nothing if it is made of low-quality or unsuitable materials. Therefore, it is imperative to take them into account..
Choose quality materials
The cabinet body can be made of the following materials:
- Chipboard. The cheapest, the most common. Consists of synthetic resin and sawdust. Looks like a fake wood in most cases. Afraid of water, temperature changes, deforms over time. Very fragile – cracks or splits as a result of a strong impact. It is very light and can therefore fall over. But his price is very low, which in some situations can be decisive.
- MDF. More expensive than chipboard, slightly less widespread. Consists of the same sawdust and resin, but melted into one mass before pressing. Usually mimics wood, but with better quality than particleboard. If well processed, it is not afraid of water, temperature changes. On impact, it will not crack, but will be crumpled. Heavier.
- Wood. The most expensive, the most beautiful material. Does not cause allergies, fits well into most interiors. Properly processed is not afraid of moisture, temperature extremes, or parasites. Heavy – on the one hand it is harder to overturn, on the other hand it is more dangerous. Less sensitive to mechanical damage than MDF or chipboard.
- Metal. Austere, cold material, not suitable for a child’s room. Unless you want to furnish the hideout of an active teenager in a minimalist style. Very reliable, does not break, does not burn, does not rust if properly processed. Heavy.
Wood is the most expensive, but very beautiful material.
Only cabinet cabinets have a body – that is why it is so important to calculate the weight and whether the cabinet will fall on the child.
It is also worth considering the materials of the shelves. It:
- Chipboard. Thin shelves that quickly change shape and bend under the weight of things.
- MDF. Solid shelves that can support a lot of weight.
- Wood. Beautiful expensive shelves, which make little sense to do inside a closed cabinet if the child does not have allergies.
- Metal. Cold, thin, very durable shelves that last for decades, but are rarely installed because they do not work well with wood.
- Glass. Shelves for open cabinets are beautiful, there is no point in hiding them behind doors. Combine well with lighting, allowing you to turn ordinary spaced toys into an interesting collection. But slippery, and you also need to make sure that they are strong enough so that the child cannot break them.
Thin shelves flex very quickly
Metal and glass go well – although such a combination is not for a schoolchild’s room, especially a preschooler. Wood and glass are well combined – the first softens the second, gives it comfort. Particleboard does not match with anything.
AdviceThe material should be not so much beautiful as reliable. After all, you probably expect that the baby will use the closet for more than a couple of years..
Interesting organization of space for two children
If you want an open wardrobe, of course, you don’t have to think about the material of the doors. But in most of the nurseries, there are still closed structures in which it is convenient to store all those things that there is no need for outsiders to see..
Swing doors, like sliding doors, can be made of:
- Chipboard. Such doors are thin, which is good on the one hand – they are light. But if a child hits them, most likely it will be a real hole..
- MDF. Much more durable option. Such doors are heavier, but this is not too critical – both the hinges and the rail will easily withstand them..
- Wood. Such doors are durable, they won’t even get a dent from the impact. But they are heavier. For a sliding structure, they cannot be used at all; for a swinging structure, they are suitable only if the cabinet itself is heavy and massive.
- Glass. Transparent glass as a cabinet door looks more funny than beautiful, since it opens all the shelves, drawers, and rods. But mirror or matte can look very impressive..
- Metal. It is almost never used, because it is heavy, reminiscent of school locker rooms from American films. It is used rather with inserts to slightly diversify the overall look of the tree..
Doors must be reliable and durable
The material is responsible for reliability – chipboard lasts a couple of years, MDF a little longer, wood, like glass, can not be changed for decades.
But for the general appearance of the cabinet, the door covering is responsible, which can be done in very different ways, using different techniques:
- Pure wood without treatment. It doesn’t matter if it’s natural or fake – the effect is about the same. It looks a little boring, but classic, and also does not require any effort in processing. No need to invest, no need to invest.
- Painting. The painted wooden door looks much more interesting than the usual one. If the design of the room allows this, you can paint it with a plant or geometric pattern, bright shapeless spots, clouds, sheep, fish, your favorite cartoon characters – absolutely anything. The main thing is that this anything fits into the overall interior, and also pleases the child..
- Photo printing. Essentially similar to painting, but does not require skill in drawing or hiring an artist, plus provides photographic accuracy. It can be all the same patterns, an interesting landscape, a full-length portrait of the child himself, a scene with his favorite characters – the effect will be bright and festive, especially if all the sliding doors of the wardrobe become the canvas.
- Metal inserts. Usually they are made on a wooden door, they look like shiny geometric shapes or stripes. It turns out strictly and even a little cold. The kid will most likely not be impressed, but for a teenager it can be an excellent solution. Especially if the symbolism is close to him.
- Mirror glass. Mirrored doors are a good solution for a wardrobe in the room of a child who is fond of sports. For example, he is engaged in aerobics or gymnastics. In the mirror, you can control how correctly the exercises are performed..
Photo printing – a vibrant and ever-festive effect
In addition, the mirror will fit well into the room of a child who loves to observe himself, gives preference to fashion or acting. Also visually expand a small room.
- Frosted glass. It can be colored, slightly transparent – so that obscure shadows of the contents of the cabinet can be seen through it. It will delight the little ones if you make the lighting inside – then at night the whole structure will resemble a magic castle.
- Sand-treated glass. Such glass is opaque, slightly rough to the touch. It is easier to break down, but it also looks very interesting. Moreover, with the help of a stencil, a drawing can be made on it, which remains transparent – from the silhouette of an animal to a plant pattern..
- Stained glass. In terms of aesthetic qualities, such doors will be comparable to the real picture. She can depict any plot, represent animals, plants, geometric patterns, favorite cartoon characters. The only drawback is that stained glass is somewhat easier to break than ordinary glass..
- Tinted glass. A good solution for a dark room. It looks interesting, while behind it you absolutely cannot see the things that are packed in the closet.
- Fusion. The same stained-glass window, but more interesting – glass forms are superimposed on the glass base, which are then baked, forming a picture. If an ordinary stained glass window is easy to break, then fusion, on the contrary, is more difficult..
- Thread. For classic interiors – just a godsend. Carved cabinet doors made of natural wood look interesting, noble, and attract attention.
A beautiful option for a girl’s room
An open design with such a variety cannot compete, but you can hang it with a curtain – from a thin translucent fabric, from a heavy fabric with a pattern, from thin multi-colored threads.
The best part is that, if desired, the curtain can be easily removed by changing to another.
How to fit a wardrobe into an interior?
When choosing a way of finishing doors and material for the body, be guided by how the rest of the interior looks like. The cabinet in it can perform two opposite functions:
- Merge. In this case, it becomes the most inconspicuous part of the interior, which is not supposed to be paid attention to. Emphasis on something else, the color that matches the color of the main environment as much as possible. The ideal embodiment of this function is a wardrobe with mirrored doors, which is almost impossible to notice if you do not know what it is..
- Act as an accent. In this case, it becomes the most noticeable part of the interior, which is supposed to be looked at immediately from the threshold. The color is as bright as possible. Either matching in shade with the main one, or contrasting to it and so interesting. The ideal embodiment of this function is a large cabinet with stained-glass doors that cannot be overlooked..
When the cabinet merges with the general interior
AdviceNo interior stands to gain from the overload of accents. If a bed has already been allocated in the nursery, you cannot also select a wardrobe, it will turn out to be clumsy, ugly.
Finally: safety precautions
In order for the wardrobe to fit well into the nursery, it must have not only an ideal design, suitable material, its own role in the interior. It still needs to be safe for the baby..
It should be:
- devoid of sharp corners that can be hit – it is best if all of them are slightly rounded or protected by a soft coating;
- is devoid of protruding handles – you can bump into them on the run, therefore it is better to choose boxes with special solid protrusions that you can grab;
- heavy enough not to fall – the body structure should be quite massive so that if a child hits it, it does not fall on him;
- light enough not to cause fatal damage when falling;
- equipped with special closers that allow you to open the drawers together with the doors smoothly, and then just as smoothly return them to their rightful place – so that the child cannot tear off the door with a strong roar, drop himself the drawer or break his finger by pinching it.
The cabinet should also have the obligatory ability to open the doors from the inside – the child should be able to get out if he climbs inside out of curiosity or while playing.