Door handles for entrance doors (60 photos): types of products and selection rules
Animalistic motifs, sculptural forms of handles have always been popular and are used in modern times.
It is the door handles for entrance doors that are the detail that seems not too important to many, but in fact plays one of the decisive roles in the normal operation of the door. A wide assortment, a variety of models and colors – all this allows you to choose the ideal option for an entrance door of any style, making the handle part of the overall composition of the room.
Front door handle as an accent accessory in the hallway
Luxurious Art Nouveau pen
The dimensions of the doorway and the configuration of the door also determine the choice of the handle. They are usually guided here according to the principle of leverage.
The handle as an essential part of the perfect entrance door
Most often, ordinary people prefer to purchase a lock with a handle for an entrance door at the same time, without paying due attention to choosing a model that is ideal for specific conditions. This approach can be justified only in the absence of a worthy choice, as well as in a situation when the impression made by the door is not important for the owners of the premises. However, it is from the entrance opening that acquaintance with the room begins, it is the entrance door that sets the tone for the entire apartment or house..
Black steel handles and leather straps as door decoration
The clip handle perfectly matches the raw, natural and rough finishing motifs
Basalt doorknob by Swiss architect Peter Zumthor in the Diocese Museum of Cologne, a rebuilt modern building on the ruins of the late Romanesque church of St. Columbus
The desire to decorate your home and create a unified and harmonious atmosphere in it gives rise to a special interest in door fittings. Today, laconic and strict models are in demand as much as bright, complex and fanciful designs. A wide assortment presented in stores allows you to choose the ideal model for any door and any style of apartment or house.
Important! A beautiful pen should not only be spectacular, but also reliable, strong and durable. Finding a model that combines all of these qualities is key in determining the optimal front door solution..
Trendsetters in architecture, furniture and product design. Even small accessories, such as door handles, carry the recognizable style of each design bureau and give an idea of their handwriting.
Large size stationary handles are used on both classic luxury residential doors and commercial buildings
A sculptural doorknob in animalistic motifs, or in the form of a mythical creature, will complement the thematic exterior or interior of the hallway. You can also use it in a modern design as the only bright accent.
Types of handles for entrance doors
Experts recommend starting the search for the perfect door handle not with its appearance or cost, but with determining the type of product that is most suitable for specific conditions, a specific door and users. Some people like rotary mechanisms, while others appreciate the simplicity and brevity of stationary fixed handles. The choice is extremely difficult and depends only on the future owners of the premises, since all recommendations are personalized..
- Stationary: the most simple and reliable. The absence of a mechanism and connection with the lock guarantees a long service life and reliability of such a product. In modern interiors, stationary models in the form of balls are most often used, since they are distinguished by an exquisite laconic design and sophisticated style. A subtype of stationary products should also include such an option as a handle-bracket for an entrance door: an almost classic model, familiar from childhood and familiar to everyone, can be the best option for a wooden door.
Metal knob knobs are timeless classics. Looks good on double doors
Copper, bronze, artificial patina – all this can be applied in a modern design of the hallway or the exterior of the house.
The semi-moon shape of very large doorknobs is a popular choice, especially for public and commercial spaces.
- Push: are a mechanism consisting of two levers connected by a reliable rod. The optimal mechanism is considered to be a mechanism that guarantees opening when the lever is turned by 20-30 degrees: the smaller the degree of the required rotation, the more functional the system is considered. As a rule, a mortise lock is equipped with just such a model, since push mechanisms are considered the most suitable and practical from a functional point of view..
Ultra-minimalist entry door with white tilt and pull handle
Technological, difficult to install handle – part of the “smart home” project – turns off electricity and gas when you leave
Modern design welcomes ease in the selection of materials and textures, but the unity of lines and general style in the choice of accessories is always a win-win
- Swivel mechanisms for the front door, or nobs, can be considered a kind of push-type handles, since they work on a similar principle. The main difference is that the lever is replaced with balls. With external attractiveness and accuracy, such mechanisms for entrance doors are not a very optimal solution, since they are not convenient in certain life situations. However, such models are often used to create some styles..
A combination of a classic look and modern utility – the familiar locking mechanism of the knob and additional protection of the entrance to the room with a combination lock
Metal rotary handle that can be used as a correspondence holder
Brushed metal and wood – the perfect combination for a modern hallway
One of the criteria for dividing pens into categories is the material from which they are made. Modern technologies allow the use of various materials – from metal to glass, but the handles for the front door are most often made from different metals..
- Steel products are considered the most reliable and durable due to the strength of the material. At the same time, to make the product attractive, steel is often tinted to match some other material: for example, brass or bronze..
Sharp contours, square corners and textured nickel-plated door handle
- Brass models are also popular, and attention to products made of this metal is provided not only by an attractive appearance, but also by the unique tactile properties of brass: such a model is extremely pleasant to the touch.
Brass is a material that never loses its popularity
- Aluminum handles on entrance doors are used much less often – due to their excessive lightness and unreliability. Such models should be used for interior doors or rooms that do not need protection: for example, for a storage room.
Basalt, unusual for the material of door handles. Given the practicality of the application at a specific entrance to the premises, you can opt for it.
Basalt, like metal or wood, does not limit the choice of forms and goes very well with them.
Extravagant wood front door handle
Bronze handles are the best choice for creating (or renewing) an old-fashioned exterior. Abrasion and patina will only add gloss to such sculptural objects.
Rules for choosing the perfect fittings
Choosing the ideal handle model for an entrance door is a simple process, but a responsible one, since the chosen option will set the tone for the entire facade of the building for many years. Solidity, strength and reliability are the main characteristics of an ideal product. The hardware of the front door, as a rule, experiences much more serious loads than the interior, therefore it needs a frame of increased strength.
“Disappearing” doorknob. Recessed from the outside into the surface of the door when you lock from the inside of a house or room
ADVICE! Experts strongly recommend not to purchase door handles for entrance metal doors separately, but to select kits that include all the necessary elements. This option is considered more reliable and guarantees maximum protection..
Smooth curved door handle in a modern hallway design
The choice of handles for an apartment is usually not limited to any one material, but for a house it is better to select from a list of suitable ones: for example, wooden or painted and varnished models should not be used outdoors, since weather conditions can negatively affect their appearance. Brass, polished or chrome-plated stainless steel, and anodized aluminum are ideal solutions..
A utilitarian look and a wooden case on a metal base. It is better to use such a handle on the inner door, since the most pronounced fragility compensates for its warmth and pleasant roughness to the touch.
The exclusive design obliges the selection of the appropriate handle. Pictured is a Mediterranean exterior with heavy forged stationary doorknobs.
Brushed aluminum doorknob that follows the straight, straight lines of the rest of the porch
Vintage design of the entrance to the house allows the use of various bright accessories that carry the spirit of antiquity, for example, sculpted door knockers (knockers)