Vertical landscaping is a great example of practical landscaping
Designers from all over the world have long offered vertical landscaping of gardens and apartments instead of growing ornamental plants and vegetables in garden beds or in pots. This type of landscaping has many advantages, but the main thing is that it looks fresh and original. To the great joy of gardeners and florists, now almost everyone can do vertical gardening with their own hands, without resorting to expensive technologies and the help of specialists..
At the moment, almost everyone can afford to do vertical gardening with their own hands.
Vertical gardening in the country or in an apartment allows you to achieve many effects:
- saves space when there is a lack of garden space, frees window sills and other horizontal surfaces from green spaces,
Vertical gardening of the wall in the living room
- improves the appearance of a structure or wall, hiding existing imperfections or combining the entire space into a single style composition,
Vertical gardening of the outer wall of a two-story house
- improves the microclimate (in the area of the garden surrounded by “green” walls there is an increased level of humidity, protection from the sun and low noise level) and enriches the room with oxygen,
Vertical gardening in a restaurant
- allows you to zone the space, acting as a kind of partition.
Vertical gardening in an apartment using moss
With the help of such a simple technique, you can achieve many of the necessary visual or constructive effects, but first you should carefully plan your future masterpiece.
Advice! All work on vertical gardening is carried out in three stages: first, a detailed image of the original green spaces and the structures necessary for them is formed, then plants are selected taking into account their needs and appearance, and after that the implementation of the conceived project begins..
Simple stretching of ropes from the ground to the roof for growing decorative grapes or any vines long ago.
Simple stretching of the ropes has given way to a thoughtful, practical and more attractive use of plants
Plants are planted depending on their properties: growth rate, splendor
Various vertical landscaping designs are now being offered to create luxurious green walls in the garden. They are necessary not only to maintain plants, but also to complement the composition..
Vertical gardening of the facade of a one-story house
Similar designs can be purchased in the store, or you can do it yourself:
- Arches have long been used to decorate open spaces. Placing several arches entwined with climbing plants in a row over a garden path or over a resting place, you can organize an island of romance in your garden.
Arch with white flowers overgrown with it
Arches arranged in a row will create an excellent flower gallery
- The pergola is a tall wooden lattice, which can also be chosen by any vines. Pergola can be part of a gazebo, benches, terraces, or used together with arched structures.
Pergola in flowers
- Metal meshes or trellises are another convenient option for creating vertical landscaping. You can make a whole “green” post out of the net by twisting a cylinder out of it, or decorate a flowering wall by leaning it around the perimeter of a small shed or other outbuilding.
Metal grilles in the form of honeycombs
Living pillars are formed on metal gratings around the columns
- Flower stands are perfect for creating vertical flower beds. Usually they are cone-shaped structures, where you can place several flowerpots or pots with any flowers. It is easy to make such a stand yourself from scrap materials, placing several pots on a snag or a metal pin.
A simple flower rack will help you place a few more pots
- Stairs with wide steps make great flower stands. You can use a stepladder or its like for these purposes, so as not to lean the structure against the wall, but to put it in any free place.
Using a stepladder in a garden and flower arrangement
- Hanging containers, boxes or other containers look interesting, which can be fixed not only near walls, but also on tree branches, although you should not make the structure too heavy. The original idea is to use old tires as containers for flowers, which are suspended in several rows..
Wooden Hanging Frame Container for Vertical Gardening
Metal flower containers
Vertical gardening with flower pots on stands
- A fence or screen will become the basis for a hedge if decorated with climbing plants..
Screens with vertical gardening
Fence with vertical gardening
- The hut itself is an original decoration of the garden, and if you also plant flowers on its walls, then the resting place for children and adults will only be envied.
Several arches side by side will create an excellent foundation for a play house
- Curved water pipes attached to the wall with holes drilled into them will be a wonderful home for small ampelous plants..
Floral arrangement using water pipes
You can come up with many more different vertical structures, you just have to evaluate the available space in the garden and show your imagination.
Bright green moss circles look great on bare concrete
Vertical composition of succulents in a metal frame
When the plan is thought out and designs for vertical gardening are chosen, you can think about which representatives of the flora will decorate the garden. You can use a wide variety of plants for vertical gardening, but the following are considered the most favorable options:
- Ampel plants that are planted in pots and hanging pots (petunia, bacopa, pelargonium, begonia, lobelia, dichondra, etc.).
Petunia flower fence
- Climbing plants that wrap around trellises, arches, mesh, etc. (climbing roses, grapes, clematis, ivy, honeysuckle, actinidia, etc.).
Classic example of vertical gardening with climbing plants
- Vegetables, habitually located in the beds, can be placed in pots or put on vertical structures (cucumbers, pumpkin, peas, beans, tomatoes, etc.).
Growing in wooden tubs and flowers and edible herbs
In the apartment, vertical gardening of the walls is done according to slightly different rules due to the need for excellent waterproofing so as not to damage the walls or floors in the room. All landscaping systems can be divided into two groups: the use of soil or the growth of flowers in hydroponics (artificial environment).
Vertical landscaping of wall gaps between windows
Advice! There are advantages in one and the second option, therefore, vertical gardening in the interior should be selected depending on the initial data: the availability of funds, ease of installation and selection of plants.
Vertical gardening of walls, made in special niches
Vertical gardening in an apartment can be created in different ways using different plants:
- The simplest option is narrow chrome or wooden shelving from floor to ceiling, on which boxes with ampelous or other beautifully flowering plants are located. If there is no room near the walls in the room, you can purchase or make a floor stand for flowers, which will quickly become the center of the composition..
Hanging rack for vertical gardening
Floor Standing Vertical Gardening Rack
- A substitute for a conventional rack is a phytomodule for vertical gardening, the structure of which can make an entire wall alive. These are ordinary hanging boxes, arranged in several rows, in which pots with plants are installed at a slight slope. They are often purchased for offices and restaurants, but at home you can make a similar decor without spending a lot of money. When creating a structure, attention must be paid to the irrigation system: either automation is provided, or everything is done the old fashioned way, i.e. flowers are watered by hand.
Vertical gardening in the office
Vertical gardening in the bathroom
- Hanging planters have long been a popular method of vertical gardening, in which climbing plants look great. Instead of hanging containers, you can attach several rows of nails to a wooden panel for small mugs or teapots with flowers.
- To decorate an apartment, a panel of succulents is perfect, which can be placed in a shallow box right in small pots. The pots are glued to the bottom of the box, and the space between the pots is filled with some kind of decorative material (burlap, straw, moss). In the same way, you can “draw” pictures by filling the previously drawn contour with succulents..
Panel of succulents
Picture of succulents in a table frame
- The original wall decor will be obtained from a moss pattern. The moss is mixed with water and a moisture-retaining gel in a blender, then the mixture is applied with a brush to a wooden or concrete surface. It is important to choose the moss that will feel good on such a surface. For care, you only need to spray this pattern once a week.
Vertical gardening with square modules with moss
- In the kitchen, you can arrange hanging pockets made of fabric with seedlings of greenery. It is important to organize the sump so that water does not spill onto the floor when watering. Seedlings are placed in prepared compost. Greens will fall on the table of the owners directly “from the garden”.
Hanging tubs with various herbs