Choosing wallpaper for the kitchen: 100 trendy solutions for modern and classic interiors
Wallpaper on paper in pastel colors
As you know, the kitchen is not only the face and business card of the hostess, but also the heart of the whole house, where the whole family gathers at a large table, therefore wallpaper for the kitchen plays an important role in the interior. The range of wallpapers today amazes with a variety of color palettes and textures, but in order to choose the right option for the kitchen, you need to consider and take into account a lot of nuances.
Kitchen furniture and wallpaper in one color scheme
Volumetric 3D-wallpaper in a snow-white kitchen
Bright wallpaper with expressive geometric patterns
An interesting solution to paste over the ceiling with wallpaper to match the kitchen island
Black glass wallpaper in a metallic kitchen
What wallpaper to glue in the kitchen: choose the texture
Wallpaper for the kitchen can be divided into several types..
Paper ones are the most affordable, cheapest, environmentally friendly and breathable, but impractical and short-lived, just the option that all designers immediately sweep aside. You will not find this type of wallpaper in any photo in the catalogs of modern kitchen interiors. So, paradoxically, almost all search results on the Internet for the query “wallpaper for the kitchen photo catalog” will consist of any kind of wallpaper, just not paper.
Beautiful 3D wallpaper in a modern interior
Fabric – made of silk, cotton or linen, slightly stronger than the paper counterpart, are very difficult to maintain and paste. They will require a complete and careful alignment of the walls, as they emphasize and highlight the slightest unevenness. This wallpaper is also not very well suited for the kitchen..
Fabric wallpaper creates a special cozy atmosphere in the kitchen
Natural (bamboo, stems and leaves of herbs, veneer, etc.) – consist of dried stems of herbs, wood shavings and bamboo strips attached to the fabric base with special glue or nylon threads. They are not painted in order to preserve their original natural appearance. They are considered to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Bamboo wallpapers are ideal for allergy sufferers, as they practically do not accumulate dust. However, with all its advantages, natural wallpaper quickly absorbs foreign odors and substances, therefore, it is also not very well suited for the kitchen..
Kitchen work wall made of cork wallpaper
Waterproof wallpaper for the kitchen
Non-woven – made of polyester and acrylic with the addition of viscose or cellulose fibers. They are distinguished by good moisture resistance, fireproof, elastic, smooth out all the unevenness of the walls, and even have some soundproofing properties. Non-woven wallpaper for painting is completely capable of withstanding up to 7 color changes, if you are tired of the previous color and you are planning to update the interior.
Non-woven wallpaper with tile print
Vinyl – polymer wall covering, which is applied to a base of non-woven or special technical paper. They provide a wide field for designers’ actions – it is definitely worth choosing such wallpapers for a small kitchen, however, in a large kitchen they will also look harmonious. Vinyl does not fade, is resistant to moisture, can be easily washed with a sponge, allows the use of household products, does not shrink on the walls due to its high elasticity. In addition, vinyl wallpapers with micro-pores are now available, they are called “breathable” and provide good air circulation, which makes them even more moisture resistant than standard vinyl counterparts. This is a guarantee that mold and mildew will never appear on the “vinyl” kitchen..
Vinyl wallpaper is a great option for wall decoration in the kitchen
Glass fiber is paintable wallpaper, it gives the wall an interesting relief and allows you to repeatedly paint it in the desired colors. They are water-resistant and vapor-proof, fireproof, distinguished by excellent wear resistance, they look impressive and stylish, but they have one drawback – it is extremely difficult to separate them from the walls.
A successful combination of light kitchen and juicy glass wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper is a coating made of a combination of adhesive, threads and fibers of acetate silk, viscose, cellulose, cotton, etc. This coating is applied to the walls using plastering technology and allows you to create various patterns. Such a finishing material will allow you to correct any flaws in the walls, any decorative finish is suitable for it, moreover, it does not leave seams. Liquid wallpaper has good sound and thermal insulation, washes well, has a wide choice of color palette, and if any fragment has deteriorated, it is easy to replace or renew.
Liquid wallpaper will hide any irregularities in the walls
Each of the options has its own pros and cons, but some are quite expensive. And now, wondering which wallpaper is better to choose, many owners, in an effort to save money, purchase paper wallpapers for the walls of the kitchen, without thinking about the consequences. But it is in this room that some surprises can spoil the surface of the wallpaper in a matter of seconds..
The most suitable wallpaper for the kitchen is non-woven, due to its many beneficial qualities
High humidity, temperature changes, soot, steam and other features of the “hot shop” – this is what you have to face wallpaper in the kitchen. That is why paper and textile (silk, linen, cotton) and natural (bamboo and the stems and leaves of the grass, veneer wood) wallpaper, which actively absorb fumes, smoke and the smell of food – we leave it for other rooms.
From the rest of the options, you can choose whatever your heart desires, as far as financial possibilities allow. However, it is worth remembering that especially strong savings are not always appropriate in the case when we choose something once for many years..
Washable wallpaper for the kitchen
Main condition: wallpaper for kitchen must be washable, therefore, the best choice is vinyl (non-woven, compact vinyl) wallpaper or fiberglass wallpaper.
Washable wallpaper for brown kitchen
Delicate warm wallpaper color that will never tire your eyes
Bright glass wallpaper in the kitchen in eclectic style
What wallpaper to choose for the kitchen: deciding on the colors
It would seem that there is nothing easier than choosing the color of wallpaper for the kitchen, but here too you need to take into account many important points – dimensions, light flow, geometric shape of the room, etc. Leading decorators give some useful recommendations to help novice designers.
Bright wallpaper with a large pattern on a short wall
Small drawing is perfect for the bar area of the kitchen
Small kitchen in a rustic style with wallpaper in a large but rare pattern
General criteria for choosing colors
- large images will visually reduce the size of the kitchen;
- small drawing increases the space;
A contrasting oversized print will help make your kitchen more cozy
Small unobtrusive pattern on wallpaper in Provence style
Healthy! Stretch ceiling in the kitchen – 39 photos, advantages, nuances of choice, a variety of styles
An interesting solution is the use of large floral wallpaper on the ceiling of a traditional kitchen
- vertical patterns visually raise the ceilings, increasing the height of the room;
- horizontal images, especially stripes, expand the area but decrease the height;
- geometric plots on the walls, consisting of intersecting figures and stripes, create a sense of continuous space;
- textured wallpapers are able to create a lot of interesting effects due to the play of light and shade and color palette;
- a narrow and long kitchen can be made more harmonious by dark tones on the short sides and light ones on the long ones;
- a square room is a universal option that will support all ideas, but the kitchen looks most advantageous if one of the walls is made in a more saturated shade than the rest.
When choosing the color of kitchen wallpaper, not only the dimensions of the kitchen, but also the location of the windows should be clearly taken into account, since the direction of the luminous flux is of no small importance in design.
Creative photo wallpaper in the kitchen-studio in the loft style
Wallpaper for a small kitchen: space, light and color
- For small kitchen wallpapers with contrasting, very large patterns or with vertical stripes – they visually additionally reduce the room. For such kitchens, plain wallpaper, in light colors or with a small rare pattern, is suitable. Provence style kitchen wallpaper is a great solution! Wallpaper for a white kitchen (as well as wallpaper for a light kitchen) should be chosen more carefully so that the interior does not look too faded and expressionless. Gray wallpaper in the kitchen is suitable for adherents of loft and high-tech styles. For the first direction, modern brick-like wallpaper in the kitchen is also ideal..
The combination of two types of wallpaper in a small kitchen
Great wall covering option in a classic kitchen
Country style kitchen with old newspaper wallpaper
- If window kitchens face north, then you should stay on wallpaper in a warm range – yellow, Orange, pink, creamy shades add warmth and Sveta. Hot “southern” cuisine will be cooled and refreshed by cold tones – Gray, blue, blue, green, marble. By the way, green wallpapers in the kitchen can cheer up residents, and blue ones can suppress appetite. Wallpaper for an orange kitchen should be chosen a few tones lighter than the headset, or you can turn to the proven classics – white, black and gray.
- It is not necessary to choose one type of wallpaper and paste over all the walls with it, you can combine colors and textures.
The wall of the work area is highlighted with wallpaper with a beautiful vintage print
Small pattern on wallpaper in mint tones for a Provence style kitchen
Original decoration of one wall with photo wallpaper in the loft style
If the kitchen is combined with dining room, combining wallpaper will allow zone space, separating dining area from the working.
3D wallpaper in the kitchen interior
We keep up with the times and develop rapidly, and now, to replace the usual wallpaper for the kitchen, scientific and technological progress offers us an interesting option – 3D wallpaper.
Photo wallpaper in the kitchen (flowers or branches) will help create the desired accent on a short wall
What is 3D wallpaper
These are beautiful large-format drawings, applied on a different type of base using a special technology and creating the effect of volume and the presence of a person in the image. They do not necessarily decorate all the walls, as we are used to doing with ordinary wallpaper, sometimes it is sufficient to decorate only the key part of the kitchen, putting a bright accent. The 3D effect itself is achieved through the use of lenticular plastic – a set of cylindrical lenses of different sizes, parallel to each other. This allows us to contemplate a three-dimensional picture on such wallpapers. For example, such wallpaper for the kitchen with a pattern of coffee or coffee beans can invigorate no worse than a fragrant cup..
Interesting 3D wallpaper with a large-scale pattern in the work area
Advantages and disadvantages
Photo wallpaper 3D has a number of advantages:
- They are made on almost any basis – non-woven, vinyl, synthetic fabrics, etc..
- They retain their color for a very long time and do not fade under the sun’s rays.
- Hide any difficulties in the relief of the walls.
- Non-toxic, environmentally friendly – high-quality Japanese paints are used in their manufacture.
- Refractory, as they are treated with a special fireproof primer.
- Practical – they can be washed with any household chemicals.
- Aesthetics – no other analogue will provide such a realistic immersion in the image. Photo wallpaper in the interior (you can see the photo further in the gallery) is not only a tribute to fashion, but also a completely reasonable choice.
- Wear resistance – last from 5 to 10 years.
The disadvantages of such wallpaper for the kitchen can only be attributed to the fact that they are suitable mainly for large premises, and rather high prices. At the moment, this is the most expensive wallpaper of all existing options..
How beautiful to combine wallpaper in the kitchen (photo)
Each of us, making repairs, wants to get away from the routine, and already few people simply paste over the kitchen with the same type of wallpaper. Today we want to express our individuality and try to combine different textures, textures and technologies. However, you cannot combine incongruous things, and the advice of experienced decorators helps to understand such moments..
General rules when combining wallpaper in the kitchen:
- Wallpaper must be of the same quality and price level – you cannot combine cheap and luxury options, it looks bad.
- Wallpaper should be in harmony with the overall style of the kitchen.
- When combined, the wallpaper should have approximately the same thickness. Inhomogeneity of thickness will bring a problem with the choice of edging and joining of seams.
- If you have chosen bright panels with large-format images, the rest of the space should be made monochromatic in order to emphasize a bright accent and avoid unnecessary clumsy..
Wallpaper can be perfectly combined with large stickers on the next wall.
Black and white wallpaper blends perfectly with white walls
Contrast kitchen in a modern interior
- Flower ornaments blend well with wood textures and patterns.
- Geometry harmonizes perfectly with abstract images.
- Bright colors should be slightly muted with neutrals..
- The play of textures looks great – smooth with rough, matte with gloss, the main thing is to observe the same price bracket and material thickness.
Everything sounds great in theory and is easy to implement if you have an idea of how to arrange it technically in practice. But if you have never done repair work with your own hands before and have conceived complex combinations, it is better to entrust such work to professionals.
Unusual combination of black wallpaper with a dirty yellow kitchen set and a white parallel wall
Incredible beauty with animated wallpapers
Additional decor and some design techniques
A long time ago, such a technique as “accent wall” and wall zoning has become fashionable and is still in trend..
Healthy! Decor for kitchen – we decorate walls, kitchen little things, the appearance of household appliances and much more.
Black and white stripes give the room a stylish austere
Vertical colored stripes will help to visually raise the ceiling
To correct the low ceiling or harmonize the elongated shape of the kitchen, decorators have come up with many tricks. One of the most popular is the use of stripes. Vertical stripes are used to correct the height, horizontal stripes are used to play with an area..
Vertical games. Wallpaper for classic kitchen
Symmetry. In the center of the room, both walls are pasted over with wide strips of wallpaper, preferably in contrasting shades, and then optically it turns out that the length of the room will turn out to be equal to the width. This gives a visual balance to the width and length of the kitchen..
The classic trick of expanding the space – tall tiled panels + wallpaper with a vertical stripe
Asymmetry. One wall is pasted over in the middle with a bright strip, and similar strips, but of different widths, are glued in the far corner of the opposite wall. This makes it possible to visually expand and at the same time shorten a too narrow rectangular kitchen..
Stripes of different widths will help you adjust a non-standard room
A favorite technique is a combination of ordinary wallpaper and paintable with a border. Typical options for combinations – plain bottom plus striped wallpaper; with large flowers or monograms; striped bottom plus a solid top or top with small ornaments; large bottom with flowers and monograms plus a solid top. The choice depends on what you want to balance with. Classic wallpaper (photo below) assumes basic colors and proportions, close one to one.
Wide contrasting stripes are suitable for a narrow kitchen
It’s more of a way to express your personality. A wall is chosen, which most often falls on the eye when being in the kitchen, then it is distinguished in different ways – with bright wallpaper, panels, 3D wallpaper – or made bright, monochromatic with any additional finishing elements.
Interesting wallpaper ideal for a spacious room
In the choice of wallpaper for the kitchen, anything can play a key role, but not the price. This is not the case where you need to save on material, because, according to popular wisdom, the miser pays twice in the end. Before buying wallpaper, there are many important things to consider. Beforehand, it is worthwhile to measure well the dimensions of the kitchen, determine its general geometric shape, examine the walls for the complexity of the relief and the presence of possible defects, etc., and, based on this, think over the design. The best option would be to draw the kitchen on a piece of paper, write down all the parameters and roughly estimate the material consumption. And only after that, having thought over all the subtleties, you can go to the store, buy suitable wallpapers and boldly put design ideas into practice.