Private house courtyard design: we create a cozy and functional space with our own hands
Beautiful design of a recreation area in a small courtyard
Private houses require a plot of land to create a courtyard. To improve the territory of the house, the owners often turn to specialists. Many people leaf through landscape design magazines and try to do everything with their own hands. To equip a small courtyard of a private house with maximum pleasure, you should adhere to a number of simple principles.
Small wood-lined courtyard with a romantic atmosphere
Comfortable semicircular benches in the yard for a comfortable pastime with friends and family
Interesting design solutions for a small courtyard
Small bright courtyard with bright furniture
What to look for when arranging a yard?
Terrain and size of the territory
Landscaping the yard does not mean that you have to carry out grandiose work using special equipment. However, you should first take into account all the nuances of the landscape. Preparatory work in the form of drainage and strengthening of the slopes will get rid of the difficulties of caring for the site.
Landscaping in a multi-level courtyard
If the owners of the site are ready to attract additional labor, then technically, almost any landscape idea can be realized. When there are several buildings on the site in addition to a residential building, then it is worth thinking about how to connect them using paths and organize a hedge for outbuildings. There should be both shady and sunny areas in the yard so that the rest is varied and comfortable for all family members and guests..
Stylish yard furniture will emphasize the status of the owner
Weather conditions, the length of the summer season affect not only the choice of plants, but also the construction work. When designing a courtyard, it is necessary to take into account all the climatic features of the region..
Comfortable couch for relaxing by the pool
The house is the main element on the site, so the design of the yard must be consistent in style with all buildings. Too much decor can turn a yard into a colorful patchwork quilt. If the cottage and the courtyard are not large, then you should not experiment with styles..
Luxurious beautiful house with a small local area and a cozy courtyard
If the site is large, then in a remote part of the courtyard, you can embody various thematic corners using zoning. For example, the rustic style eliminates the use of complex structures in the design. Wood planks, gravel walkways and handcrafted décor are great here..
Zoning of the future site depends on the type of activity, the number and composition of residents.
Competent zoning of the local area will allow you to tune in the right way
It is worth deciding in advance:
- whether the site will be used for a vegetable garden;
- whether a bathhouse will be built;
- do you need parking, playground, barbecue, summer kitchen, swimming pool and so on.
An unusual playground built around a tree in the center of the courtyard
Based on all the needs and sizes of the site, you need to consider the possibility of combining several functional areas into one: a terrace and a gazebo, a summer kitchen and a dining room, a shower from the end of the house. It is necessary to think about how to delineate the zones and take into account the possibility of combining the space for the gathering of large companies. For this, the furniture is arranged in separate groups, where everyone can find a secluded corner..
Recreation area on an artificial podium in the yard
- The boundaries between zones can vary in height based on privacy preferences.
- The children’s area should be clearly visible so that parents can control the situation on the playground. It is better if it is located in front of a window or a summer kitchen..
- It is better to plan a recreation area and a place for a car in the backyard, if space and layout allows.
- All areas must be connected by a network of paved paths.
- The garden and vegetable garden should be located in the back of the yard.
Interesting bench idea that takes up a minimum of space
It is important that the design of the courtyard of a private house looks attractive from all sides. Therefore, the preliminary project should be assessed from various perspectives: from the window, from the terrace, balcony, along the perimeter of the courtyard and from the street side..
Small cozy corner with barbecue
Private house courtyard design: landscaping
When choosing plants for a site, it is worth considering the time it will take to care for them. Therefore, it is worth giving preference to unpretentious plants. Moreover, they must correspond to the zones of the yard, which means:
- It is better not to place pine plants on terraces, otherwise you will have to start the day by sweeping..
- Trees dropping foliage should be planted away from water bodies so as not to clog the pool, pond and provoke rotting.
- Large shrubs and trees are planted at the boundaries of the site to create a hedge effect.
Cozy gazebo in a leafy home garden
- If the fence is low, then the plants in the boxes can increase the privacy of the yard..
- In order not to weed the soil regularly, it is worth using geotextiles for flower beds, areas under the terrace and in the sandbox..
- Multicolor landscapes and plants with leaves of different shapes look spectacular.
- For small areas, the vertical principle of landscaping and alpine slides are applied.
Variety of annual and perennial flowers adorning a narrow courtyard
Sculptures, figurines, arches, birdhouses, decorative ponds should be divided into thematic zones, functional purpose and selected in accordance with the architectural style of the house. For houses in a rustic style, it is worth choosing authentic accessories in the form of clay pots, a wicker fence.
Beautiful figurines will add some zest to your yard
If the family has children, then it is advisable to decorate the yard with a garden of fairies, figurines of gnomes, mushrooms, windmills, sundials and feeders. Such decorative elements will not let children get bored. You can expand the exterior with the help of mirrors and optical illusions, fixing reflective structures on fences and in the garden. Mirror elements are built into the flower beds, between the stones on the lawn to simulate the water surface.
Nice and simple decoration of the yard with antique furniture
It is worth remembering that the organization of light in the yard is not only a decorative element. The backlight should make it easier to move around the yard in the dark and not interfere with sleep. Thoughtful illumination of plants, sculptures, buildings, stairs can create a wonderful ambiance in the evening. It is worth deciding in advance on the power of the lighting devices. You can save on electricity by using luminaires that use wind or solar energy. Garlands, candles and fireplaces give the courtyard a romantic atmosphere.
A carefully thought-out lighting system on the site will allow you to move around calmly at night
Features of the design of a small yard
Healthy! Wrought iron benches – features and benefits, where you can put forged benches, how to care
Small narrow table in a compact backyard
If the house is surrounded by a narrow strip of land and a small plot in front of the main entrance, then the following design techniques can be applied:
- Pave the paths diagonally. This will visually expand the site..
- Use an artificial lawn under the canopies of the house, decorating its pots with live plants, unpretentious to light.
For a small courtyard, folding garden furniture is suitable so that at any time you can fold it down or take it out
- Eliminate strict geometry in the landscape, give preference to complex trajectories over straightness.
- Surround the walls of the house with ivy or loaches, simulating the effect of a gazebo and mini-garden. If you add artificial waterfalls and ponds with fish to the composition, you get a full-fledged recreation area.
A hedge with weaving plants can be a decoration for a small yard.
What must be present in the yard?
The main areas of the courtyard depend on the architecture, the size of the territory and the composition of the owner’s family..
Cozy bright corner with a canopy in the yard
The site, if possible, should consist of:
- residential area;
- active and passive recreation areas;
- gardening zone;
- economic zone.
Design of the courtyard of a private house with a wicker gazebo
The smallest yards can be limited to cozy benches, chairs and tables surrounded by plants. Extensive courtyards can include:
- garage or outdoor parking;
- pool or pond;
- barbecue area;
- decorative elements in the form of fountains and sculptures.
The embodiment of the design idea in the courtyard of a private house