70 Mosaic Ideas for the Bathroom: When Interior Design Becomes a Work of Art (photo)
Showroom of the manufacturer with a large-scale mosaic panel
Mosaic in the bathroom is a stylish and practical design solution. The modern market offers a large selection of mosaics in various decorations: with mother-of-pearl, sequins, ornaments and other effects. With its help, walls, floors, ceilings, as well as all kinds of complex structures are faced.
Mosaic will make your interior unique
Floral panel in orange tones from the mosaic in the bathroom
The mosaic tile for the floor has in its arsenal the whole list of advantages characteristic of ceramic tiles and a number of advantages inherent only in this type of finish.
Advantages and disadvantages
The mosaic is practical and elegant, capable of adding a special charm to the design of the bathroom, significantly ennobling it. Its aesthetic and decorative properties are far superior to those of plastics, wallpaper and simple ceramic tiles. In addition, the mosaic is resistant to water and moisture, various chemical influences, UV resistant and does not fade in the sun. Among its advantages, one can single out the absence of visible joints between the tiles after installation, which are always noticeable after laying ordinary ceramic tiles. Only with the help of mosaic (flexible) can complex geometric surfaces of rounded shapes be veneered.
Stylish bathroom interior with mosaics: unique cascade faucet and sculptural flowing lines of mosaic surfaces
Washroom with concentric mosaic patterns
The variety of colors and shades, as well as materials allows you to decorate the interior design of the bathroom in any style. In addition, the mosaic visually enlarges the space thanks to its glossy sheen. It adheres securely to various surfaces (concrete, metal, wood, etc.). A mosaic panel will make any room stylish and unique.
Of the shortcomings, perhaps, one can single out only its higher cost compared to other types of finishing materials..
There are three types of mosaics:
- Scattering. This mosaic was used many centuries ago. Each small piece is laid out separately. Today, placer is used quite rarely, since not everyone can afford such a luxury. The term and cost of work on its laying out significantly increase in comparison with other types of mosaics. But she well hides irregularities on the walls..
Each “pixel” of this picture is stacked separately in turn. This is a long, demanding, and therefore quite expensive job.
- A mosaic on a flexible base consists of small decorative cells that are fixed together on mesh or paper. Thanks to its flexibility, it can be laid out on any complex surfaces: arches, decor items, rounded columns and other curved surfaces..
Flexible mosaics can be laid out on difficult surfaces
- Mosaic tile is a one-piece product, on the surface of which a mosaic pattern with slots is applied. Otherwise, it is called a pseudo-mosaic. This is a budget option, which outwardly is sometimes difficult to distinguish from a real mosaic. Installation is carried out in the same way as for conventional ceramic tiles..
You can choose such a plant pattern from ready-made plots or assemble a unique fantasy from “loose” mosaic
Mosaic tiles are the most affordable
The shape of the mosaic is different:
- arbitrary, etc..
Mosaic elements can be of any shape, as in the photo, bringing an element of Moroccan style into a modern interior with their shape
The dimensions of the cells themselves, as a rule, vary from 1 to 5 cm, and the thickness – from 3 to 12 mm. The color gamut can be absolutely any, from light shades to bright saturated colors. The texture of the top layer is glossy, matte, mirror, pearlescent, transparent, etc..
Mosaic can be made from various materials:
- glass is especially resistant to moisture and chemical attack, therefore it is actively used for finishing showers, swimming pools, bathrooms. Glass mosaic is the easiest to maintain and therefore occupies a leading position in the market. It gives lightness and airiness to the interior. In addition, it also creates an extraordinary play of light, iridescent in the edges of colored glass. However, it can only be used for wall decoration. Although some smalt products (types of glass) are also suitable for floors;
A unique creation: a mosaic of glass and other materials pressed into a concrete countertop
- ceramic – similar in properties to tiles, attracts with a variety of shapes and colors. This is one of the most popular and budget options. Ceramics are resistant to high humidity and temperature extremes, easy to clean;
- natural stone – granite, jasper, tuff, marble.
Luxurious round bathtub with marble mosaic steps
Stone mosaic is durable, longer than other materials it is able to retain its original original properties (color, size, strength), therefore it is used primarily for finishing floors.
Accordingly, the cost of stone mosaics is higher compared to other materials. The surface of stone tiles can be matte or polished;
- metal mosaic – used to decorate rooms with low humidity, since metal is susceptible to corrosion under the influence of moisture. It is rarely used in bathrooms, but it looks very impressive. It can only be placed in the bathroom in areas where splashes of water do not fall..
Metal (or with separate metal elements) mosaic looks very nice
A kaleidoscopic pattern of colored mosaic on a neutral travertine background
Healthy! Wallpaper for the bathroom – 44 photos, weighing the advantages and disadvantages, considering options, choosing a style
Black and white plot with pearlescent iridescent tint
Stone mosaic – types and features
To create a truly unique and luxurious design in your bathroom, purchase a natural stone mosaic. This finish will delight the owners for a very long time and will always be in fashion. Let’s take a closer look at the most common types of stone from which it is made..
- Marble is a durable and reliable stone, is not afraid of moisture, does not lose its original characteristics for many decades. Formed from limestone under the influence of special conditions.
Marble Mosaic Trim
- Granite is a rock with increased strength. A bathroom with granite mosaics looks rich and elegant. The material perfectly withstands temperature extremes and mechanical stress. Suitable for both wall and floor decoration.
- Jasper is a semi-precious stone with a variety of variegated textures (spotted, banded, massive, etc.).
- Tuff is a porous rock with high decorative characteristics, it is easy to process, it is durable and resistant to moisture.
- Aventurine is a rock based on quartz. The color of aventurine mosaic is usually green, brown, cherry or yellow. The stone has a specific shimmering luster.
Aventurine trim looks very impressive
Quartz is suitable for laying out gothic, natural, and many other subjects
- Onyx is a kind of quartz. Externally, the stone has parallel layers of different colors. It is honey-colored, brown with black and white stripes, yellow-brown and white with yellow or light pink layers.
Since glass mosaic is the most popular among consumers, let’s take a closer look at its features. It is appreciated for its impeccable quality, relatively low cost and a wide selection of textures and colors, which allows you to implement the most unusual design ideas in the interior. It does not absorb moisture at all, so it is perfect for rooms with high humidity..
Glass mosaic in bathroom design
Same style sink and wall look great
One of the types of glass from which the mosaic is created is smalt. This is a colored glass made using special technologies. It is distinguished by increased strength and richness of colors, and is famous for the effect of internal glow. Smalt mosaics can be multi-colored, transparent, silver and even gold. Smalt is more expensive than ordinary glass and is considered an attribute of royal interiors. Today it is manufactured industrially, but most of the smalt mosaics are still handcrafted..
What to look for when choosing a mosaic?
A chic mosaic pattern will highlight your sense of taste and personality
Any moisture-resistant mosaic made of any material (except metal) is suitable for the walls of the bathroom. You can choose based only on financial condition and taste preferences. However, the less even the wall, the greater the thickness of the cells should be. And for the floor, it is recommended to choose products made of stone, since they are distinguished by increased strength and wear resistance. It is necessary to check that a special sign is printed on the package (a foot on a shaded background), which confirms that the mosaic can be used for floor decoration. It is important that the tiles on the floor are not slippery, pay attention to the coefficient of slip resistance.
From the point of view of ease of maintenance, the best option is a glass mosaic. It can be easily cleaned of various stains, you can even use abrasive cleaners. In terms of financial costs, the most affordable and budgetary option is ceramic mosaic. If tiles are purchased, then you need to pay attention to the structure of the pattern and the depth of the slots..
The main disadvantage of surface finishing using mosaic is the rather high cost of the material itself and the work on its installation
Loft style bathroom
Advice! Choose tiles where the slots between the cells are deep and covered with a special mixture that looks like grout. In this case, the seams between the tiles will not be visible..
When choosing a mosaic, you need to pay attention not only to the technical characteristics, but also to the color scheme. The bathroom should have a calm and cozy atmosphere conducive to relaxation. Therefore, the most suitable colors are beige, white, turquoise..
Emerald Chaotic Placer
The panel looks great not only on the walls, but also on the floor or ceiling. In the bathroom, it will become the main highlight of the interior and the pride of the owners. If earlier the installation of a mosaic panel required a lot of effort, special knowledge and skills, as well as large financial costs, now such decoration is available to everyone, since manufacturers offer ready-made drawings, the choice of which is quite wide. You just need to correctly connect the mosaic sheets to each other on the wall. With it, an ordinary bathroom can be turned into a work of art (see photo).
A magnificent mosaic panel will become the main element of the decor
Some manufacturers accept individual orders, i.e. the customer just needs to choose any drawing he likes, which will be transferred to the mosaic using a computer program. This option will cost more than a finished panel, but it will be exclusive..
The panel is placed either on one wall or around the entire perimeter of the room. In the latter case, the room turns into a single picture. The panel can be matrix or consisting of chipped mosaic.
A unique bathroom that even has its own name: “Gaudí’s Submarine”. Finished with a scattering of “sea glass”
A matrix panel consists of many small squares of the same size, which are located exactly relative to each other. When viewed at close range, it resembles a very enlarged pixelated image. The second option is more complicated. Roman technique is used for the production of the panel from the split mosaic. Pieces of various sizes and shapes are combined according to the pattern. Such a panel looks more interesting in comparison with a matrix one..
Mother of pearl chipped mosaic
Bathroom interior design ideas with mosaics
Mosaics can be used to create unique bathroom designs. Sometimes for this it is enough to tile separate small areas in the room. Consider the most successful solutions.
- Decoration of one accent wall. You can arrange one accent wall and place a shower stall, sink or toilet next to it. If you install an illuminated mirror above the sink, then such a composition will look even more luxurious..
Mosaic panel – ideal for accentuating a separate wall
- Table top finishing (see photo). If the washbasin is installed on a countertop, then the final mosaic cladding will add a sophisticated and elegant look to the entire structure..
The mosaic worktop looks very beautiful
- Accentuating the floor is a less common design solution. In this case, the walls are faced with other materials in light colors..
- Screen cladding. With the help of mosaics, you can beautifully cover the screen under the bathroom (see photo). Mosaic bathtub looks stylish and aristocratic.
Bath screen mosaic in classic interior
Exterior decoration of the bathtub with golden mosaic in the bathroom with a mosaic reproduction of “Judith” by Klimt
- Mosaic frame decoration. A mirror will look spectacular in this edging..
- Apron or vertical stripes. A mosaic apron or several narrow vertical stripes are made around the entire perimeter of the room, which visually increase the height of the room. Such inserts enliven the interior, making it unusual..
- Imitation of rugs. An interesting solution would be to create a mosaic rug on the floor, for example, near the bathroom or shower..
Mosaic on the floor with imitation of a Turkish carpet
If the financial condition allows, you can lay out all the walls and floor with mosaics. In this case, it is better to combine mosaics of the same color, but different shades..
Mosaic in different styles of bathroom interior
Wall decoration with light mosaic will look great in a classic-style bathroom (see photo), which is characterized by the use of expensive materials.
Modern bathroom with rounded walls
Ethno-style in the interior of the hygienic room
For antique or Greek style, there is no better material than mosaic. She will emphasize the sophistication and special charm of the interior..
For the country style popular in country houses, you can also choose a suitable mosaic. The use of natural shades is recommended. In this case, the interior must be complemented by items that are characteristic of the rustic style (wall sconces, mirrors, paintings, etc.).
Black and sunny golden colors in oriental ornaments
The use of blue or azure mosaics is ideal for bringing nautical style to a bathroom. This style has a positive effect on a person’s well-being, promotes relaxation and tranquility..
It is quite difficult to maintain the marine style without visually making the whole room “cheaper”, but in this photo it is skillfully done
Mosaic is also relevant for a trendy minimalist style (see photo).
The fashionable hexagonal and round shape of the mosaic is perfect for minimalist interiors.
The mosaic technique is similar to that of conventional ceramic tiles. Before starting work, it is necessary to almost perfectly level the surface. It should be dry and clean, without cracks or pits. Flexible mosaics can only be installed on two types of surfaces: plastered or plasterboard. With the help of a comb, a moisture-resistant glue is applied to the wall in a thin layer. Glue is sold in every hardware store.
Leveling the surface before laying the mosaic
Advice! It is recommended to gradually apply the glue to small areas (approximately 0.5 sq. M.) And immediately glue the mosaics to them. If the glue is applied over a large area, it becomes weathered and loses its properties until the moment the mosaic is applied..
The tile is pressed tightly against the wall and stretched using a rubber roller or a special rubberized board. It is important to keep track of the spacing between tiles so that it is uniform. After completion of the work and complete drying of the glue (approximately after one day), using a wide rubber spatula, grout (a special mixture with a latex additive) is applied between the tiles to fill the joints. Excess grout is removed with a damp sponge.
Laying mosaics is similar to laying ceramic tiles.
If the mosaic is on paper sheets, then the technology of its laying differs from the one described above only in that it is applied to the wall with the side opposite to the paper. After about 24 hours, the paper is moistened with water and carefully removed.