Terrace board – add style and personality to the design
Laying decking is a popular technique in landscape design, it allows you to refine the area around a country house, it is simply irreplaceable when arranging a terrace, veranda or pool area.
Wood flooring is visually appealing and will add coziness and style and personality to the building. In addition, the decking (decking) is tactilely pleasant, it is convenient to walk on it barefoot, without fear of being hurt by a splinter – and although the board is absolutely smooth, the special profile excludes the possibility of slipping.
Terrace board is a convenient and practical material
Light decking blends beautifully with modern home design
Decking is simply irreplaceable when arranging a terrace and veranda
Decking is a special type of lumber, which has special requirements determined by the peculiarities of its use:
- external decoration – cladding of facades of cottages and houses
- arrangement of floors in gazebos, verandas, balconies and other open areas
- baths and saunas cladding, creation of areas (terraces) around swimming pools
Decking in sauna decoration
Terrace board will ensure the durability, safety and neatness of the exterior of the personal plot
- construction of a porch or staircase, railings and railings
- laying garden paths
- production of garden furniture, benches
- covering of piers, berths, as well as yacht decks
The dock from the decking looks very nice
Bright and practical patio furniture
The deck made of decking is practical and looks very impressive
That is why decking must be solid, resistant to decay, as waterproof as possible, and also be resistant to fungi, mold and various insects. Next, consider the main types of decking..
Solid wood is used for the production of this type of decking. At the same time, the best indicators are for wood varieties exotic for our regions: teak, paduk, sequoia, iroko, yarra, tala, bilinga, garapia, okan, kumara, massaranduba (this wood is also called iron), afromosia, merbau, ipe (combines strength and hardness with flexibility and elasticity).
Natural wood board
Growing in humid tropical climates, these trees develop a natural resistance to sun and humidity, putrefactive bacteria and insect parasites.
The closest to them in properties, but much more accessible is a larch terrace board – when wet, this wood only becomes harder, moreover, it is “not to the taste” of rodents and wood-boring insects. But the pine decking will require additional processing – impregnation with special resins and compounds that will improve its water-repellent properties. But even after that, it cannot compete in durability with other tree species..
To obtain heat-treated wood, the solid wood is heated with steam to 200C, as a result of which the chemical and physical properties of the material change. As a result, highly environmentally friendly wood is obtained, which is much more resistant to temperature extremes, has greater resistance to mold or rotting than ordinary wood, and has better thermal insulation performance. And all this – without the use of paints, impregnations, varnishes and other chemicals.
The best quality indicators are for exotic wood varieties for our regions.
Heat-treated timber terrace
Decking made of wood-polymer material is an artificially created material that is obtained on the basis of resins with the addition of various (mineral or organic) fillers: shavings, sawdust, wood flour, fiberglass, etc. Polyvinyl chloride, polypropylene or polyethylene can be used as a binder..
The composite decking can be painted both during the manufacturing process by introducing dyes directly into the mass being formed (this type of painting is the most resistant), and independently with enamels or paints after installation..
The production of decking from a wood-polymer composite allows you to obtain a finishing material that is completely devoid of the disadvantages inherent in natural wood. Among its advantages are the following:
- terrace is able to withstand significant (from -50 to + 70C) temperature fluctuations
- resistant to mechanical stress
- not affected by aggressive natural (rain, snow, fog) environments, does not deform or crack
- wood insects do not start in it, it is immune to mold and mildew
- ease of use: the dpk decking board does not absorb any substances, when food, oil, drinks or sauces get into its surface, no stains remain on its surface – just rinse the deck with water with the addition of ordinary household chemicals. When tobacco ash (cigarette butts) falls, not only the possibility of fire is completely excluded, but even in most cases traces of burning do not appear. In addition, unlike wooden planks, plastic decking does not require periodic touch-up, while maintaining its original aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Open balcony wooden floor
Interesting courtyard made of polymer wood
At the same time, the polymer decking retained the naturalness and warmth of natural wood, it is also pleasant with tactile contact. Boards can be solid (for areas with high load and traffic) and hollow (this option is easier and cheaper).
Regardless of what type of decking board is chosen, it is quite simple to install it with your own hands – the technology largely repeats the installation of a conventional board. Before laying the decking board, it is necessary to prepare the base. It is not recommended to lay the board directly on the ground, for example, when arranging garden paths, it is necessary to remove the soil, pour and tamp a cushion of gravel and sand, and at the reference points use paving slabs (concrete or foundation blocks) on which the logs are laid.
Advice! So that the water does not stagnate on the boards and flow down, the laying of the lag is carried out so that the finished surface has a slope of about 1%.
Fastening of the terrace board is carried out in two ways:
- open – in this case, self-tapping screws with an applied anti-corrosion coating are used. To prevent the board from cracking when screwing in the screws, it is pre-drilled to the logs. The resulting coating is called “riveted” because of the open screw heads. To hide the heads of the screws, when screwing them in, they are sunk into the board, and from above they are covered with special plugs (plugs) made from the same board.
When installing polymer boards, it is necessary to leave a gap between them
Advice! Since polymer boards expand when heated, they are not mounted tightly to each other, leaving a gap of about 3-6 mm
- closed – in this case, use a special fastener for a terrace board, made of stainless steel and resembling staples. The mounting scheme is shown in Fig. 1
Fig. 1. Installation of decking with hidden fixing
In addition to the visual appeal (the heads of the self-tapping screws turn out to be hidden), this method of installation has another important advantage – the hidden fasteners allow you to accurately maintain the required (5-7 mm) gap between the boards. In addition, these clearances will allow water drainage and ventilation of the area under the deck..
For more information on installing a decking board, see the video:
If a decking made of wood-polymer composite requires virtually no maintenance, then natural wood will require attention. Special oil for decking will protect the material from moisture and mechanical damage.
Advice! It is not recommended to use varnish as a protection – over time, scratches form on the coating, and the varnish itself will begin to crack.
The boards covered with oil retain the ability to “breathe”, and the surface itself becomes bright and shiny, protected from mold and mildew. In this case, you can choose an oil that takes into account the specifics of installing the board. Oil with an additional UV filter is applied to boards that are under the sun for a long time – it will protect the wood from burning out and drying out. Oil with additional antibacterial protection is required for coatings that are in high humidity.
Special oil for decking will protect the material from moisture and mechanical damage
Decking made of natural wood requires periodic maintenance
Advice! A universal option for all types of wood is tung oil, it is deeply absorbed into the structure of the tree, the wood treated with it will not dry out and excessively absorb water.